Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play - Best Way To Use Our Area - ?

This year we have been able to give our 2 reception classes free access to outdoor play for most of the day- this they love and many a time the classroom has been nearly empty!! however our area is large and the problem is that if only one adult is out then it's impossible to do a focussed activity. Part of the reason is that the area is a rather strange shape so some areas are to some extent out of sight and we feel therefore there the adult needs to be supporting play plus keeping an eye on things. We have managed to increase the adults in the afternoon to 2 but in the morning there tends to be one adult outside as the other adult is inside doing an activty such as guided reading. We wondered about shutting the outside area for some of the time in the morning and then having 2 adults outside for a second morning session so that one could do a focussed activity and the other adult suport play. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions as what they would do or what would work best? we're a little confused to know what would be best :o

I have a similar problem. THe problem with closing it is that them it is not free flow and I wouldn't tell ofsted this is what happens they don't seem to like it. Our area is very large and and there is one section I cant quite see. I have 15 reception children and OFSTED told me if i cant see it all then I need 2 adults being on my own for a week doing it with 1 was the worst week of my like with 2 children with on SAP+ not yet any TA support still waiting for statement and 2 children being referred for autism. However just received and slightly negative comments for this asking why I asked OFSTED simply coz no one would tell me a straight answer.

I know what you mean about you cant do a focussed activity you are always sorting out childrens queries lol. My head is very good about eyfs and demands of little children so I dont really have to many problems. I think you are right and I would of thought your head might think so you need a ta available if you or your colleague have to go out the room/outside you are dealing with 60 children.

I thought about closing part of it off but this would mean that the area becomaes quite restricted in terms of letting them children run around if we shut one side and then if we close the other we loose the sand water, digging area and construction area! and just to add to that ofsted are due in the next 2 -3 weeks so could do with a solution!

Would you change the layout in an ideal world?

If you would then you could manage as best you can now but show Ofsted your ideas for a better layout so they can see that you are trying to improve matters.

Doesn't help the kids much in the short term though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)