Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Worker System In School

Not very helpful as I don't but we did discuss it but decided, as there are only 2 adults in the room it wouldn't really work

also parents sometimes prefer to talk to the classteacher and as a class teacher i could'nt have half the children always doing something with the TA as those children would be missing out on my teaching.

but yes i'd also be interested to know if any one is doing it?

We talked about it with our head this time last year and decided that the teacher's would be the key person as they are the one's that do parent's evening, reports etc...

We also discussed it with our EYAT in the Autumn Term and he said that there has been a bit of misunderstanding over the role. Each child does not necessarily have to be assigned a key person. What it is, is recognising that each child may need a key person at different points during the day. He said that for some when they arrive at school it may be someone in the office because they always come in that way. There may be a particular member of staff who the child relates to best so this could be their key person. At lunch time there many be a lunch time supervisor who they prefer etc... He said that the confusion has come because of the old key worker system. I don't know if anyone else has been given that message.

Yes that's what we were advised on Tuesday at our Early Years Twilight.

Someone that they know is looking out for them.

That sounds eminently sensible, particularly in a school environment where the ratios are so different. It does beggar the question though, why they haven't clarified this sooner if it is the case. :o

At the moment our reception class are all fs2, so they are 1-30, so the reception teacher is their key worker, in sept when we have younger children in reception, we think it will have to be 1-13. so employ another level 3 to be their key worker,

hope this helps,Gill

Guest lou73

I think that in school classes the class teacher is the key person with the TA stepping into the role when the teacher is absent or having her/his PPA time.

hi, we are a 3 form entry reception with 3 teachers and 3 t.a's so we have split the classes in to key groups- the T has one and the TA the other, we use this for group time and at the begining of the year letters and sounds and psrn time. The ta's also joined us on parent's eveinings this year which turned out to work really well. The teachers will be writting the reports but we are leaving a space for a key person's comment.

lutley63 we are very similar in that the teacher has a key person group and so does the TA. This helps children and parents know who to talk to and enables us both to build up a relationship with a child and family.

However in the end as the class teacher the progress and the reports are down to me to write but my TA has lots of input. We have regular meetings throughout the year with our parents and this is the key person role and we do these during the day either just after the start of the day or at the end of the day. We use the lerning journals as a discussion point.

Children will work with all adults at various times of the day but for small group time and snack time they will work with their Key Person.

For a start we refer to Key Person not a key worker. That sometimes helps to clarify the role.

In school the teacher will usually be the person who deals face to face with parents so the role doesn't so much apply to that. However, in terms of supporting children's emotional attachments and well-being there are a few things that can be done: if you are lucky enough to have TA support consider creating Key groups that meet with their key person as a small group during the day - possibly for story, activities, show and tell etc. The idea is to give children an opportunity to form closer attachments in a smaller group and form a group identity. They could have snack together, have a toy that goes home and they bring back and share the toy's diary etc. I was fortunate to have 2 TAs with me every morning and so we would have key times then.

Just a few thoughts, hope they are useful

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)