Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Getting Reception Children To Be Reflective

hi

at my last SMT observation my head said that the children were not reflective enough. They were unble to tell him what the lesson objective was and they did not know what they had learnt that day. To try and address this i have made a 'we are learning...' display which has a L/O for CLL and PSRN for that week and i try and refer to it before each session and i now set a side 15mins a day for a reflection circle where we discuss the focus activity of the day, but i dont think the sessions mean anything to the children. i am also not convinced that this will be enough for SMT, had anyone got any ideas or advice.

i really hope someone can help,

thanks

Oh... this makes me cross! This is something my KS2 orientated head would say!

Why should 4 year olds have to do this? Especially in EYFS where there can be so many WALTS going on within one session that it is hard to pull them all out! Sorry rant finished!

If it helps, this is what I do... I have WALT the Owl who the children ask before every carpet input what they are going to learn today, then (sometimes :o ) i get WALT to ask the children if they think they have learnt what he told them they were going to and discuss this.

Also in a less structured way during independent learning i complete plan, do and review. I ask the children what they are going to do in IL and then the children that do this get to show the class or tell the class and the children review it normally with 2 stars and a wish - a bit different but surely that is being reflective...

It sounds like you have fab ideas yourself though, hope this (my rant aside) helps!

Qx

Thank you for replying!

I really dont like it either but as an NQT and the only member of staff with any early years knowledge at times i find it hard to get my point across.

really apreciate the advice, i like the idea of using a puppet makes it seem less formal. sorry if this should be really obvious but how do you run a plan do review thing, i think i could do with trying something like this so that the chn take charge of their learning and see something through.

Thanks

Hi,

I agree that it is really hard to do and it is something KS2 focussed heads expect more and more. We have used cereal packets to make picture frames with the children and I now put a focus card in this around the room. It could be an adult focussed activity or an independent activity suggestion. Then underneath it says what areas of the curriculum it will cover eg making a seed packet - To cut, join and fold using different materials and a comment on writing areas covered or whatever else is relevant. Not sure whether this is making sense!!!!! but we refer to them as you do during input and I refer back to them if a child asks about what they can do or says "I want to write etc" and I will draw to their attention the activities that could include writing as well as independent writing area.

Hope this makes sense

Nicky Sussex :o

Guest heleng

When my class are accessing CI stuff we call it Busy Bee time and they have to be busy learning through play. At the end of most CI sessions we talk about what the children have been learning and most of them are able to explain what they have been doing. For example they can say they have been controlling the mouse, using their imagination, practising their reading/ writing/ drawing, working together and taking turns or building things.

I haven't been observed by my head or OFSTED using this but I have been observed by our Early Years Advisors (x2) and they said it was a very good way of getting the children to be reflective and to realise even though they are playing, they are learning through play.

Oh that's a lovely idea Nicky Sussex!

Meles, yep I think you can run it anyway you like and make it fit your timetable but I have the children on the carpet first thing and we go through the timetable, talk about the weather and then I usually do a small input - counting, singing or reading a story, something like that I keep it quite flexible and short. After this I tell the children what is available for them to use in the environment that day, usually one thing links to my short input for example today we read Goldilocks and then I put picture cards in the sand for them to retell the story. I'll tell them this and all the other activities i've set up for them - for example if writing lists is my planning focus i'll prompt them to do this etc as well as remind them about some of the resources that they can help themselves to. Then i ask them to think about what they are going to use today, tell a partner and then before they leave the carpet they have to tell me what they are going to do. They can't just say going to play in the sand but I expect them to tell me exactly what they are going to do in the sand. I then write key children's 'planning' down on the w/b each day (just 1 or 2 as it becomes unmanageable!) after our child inititaed time we come back to the carpet for 'sharing' time, then we review what the children have learnt with 2 stars and a wish (the children whose planning i've written down or sometimes a child we do something really good and then they share that) . After lots of practise I find this works really well! It gives IL a bit more of a focus and encourages quality child initiated play. It also gives me the opportunity to direct a few of my AGT. I hope this makes sense after i've waffled away!

I have lots of sympathy for you, as I was in the same position as you in my NQT year but you just have to be strong and think that the childen should be reviewing their work appropriately for them and if you think they aren't getting anything out of it - go with your gut instinct because you're probably right!

Hope this helps!

Qx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)