Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is This Over The Top Or Helpful?

Upsy Daisy

It seems obvious that there wasn't a lot of thought put into the system when it was set up. They should've made much narrower bands and tailored the letters accordingly. That said, the mothers reaction is totally over the top too and no better than the original letter! :o

The number of children with weight problems is a real worry and I agree that this needs to be highlighted and acted upon early on. Unfortunately many parents just don't understand the health problems they are storing up for their children and some are just in denial about the size of their children. xD

I got a letter saying my 5 year old boy was overweight and another saying my 11 year old girl was underweight. I just read them and filed them in the recycling box. I know my children have healthy diets and are active, but they are what they are. Amy eats like a horse and is taller than me, which isn't hard as I'm only 5 ft, Charlie wears 7-8 clothes because he's tall for his age opposed to being broad! As a parent I didn't find these letters helpful or offensive, but I do know some mums are concerned, especially the ones that said their daughters were underweight in case they may have an eating disorder.

Karrie

I agree with Carol!

That said, the mothers reaction is totally over the top too and no better than the original letter! :o

Edited by aliamch

I was quite shocked to see our setting weighing my daughter when she first started there, I didn't realise this happened and anyway she's just a normal size and weight. Surely it's the role of a GP to deal with this medical issue rather than you as practitioners?

I also find it just a little bit unsettling to find my son coming home from school talking about '5 a day'. Not that there's anything wrong with the intention, just that I don't particularly like him spouting government slogans at me. Obviously it's good to deal with obesity, but this all smacks to me of too much government intervention, almost brain washing.

So, I'm with the mum in the report I'm afraid, her son looks fine to me!

There are ways and means I suppose. A letter stating my child was over weight would go into the bin, but a letter suggesting I keep an eye on his weight might be more acceptable. It recognises that I'm the parent, gives me ownership of the problem and allows me to think for myself.

I'm a bit fed up with Government always interfering.