Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Break Entitlements

Please confirm that I am right! A member of staff has to work more than 6 hours to be entitled to a 20 minute break. If they work 6 hours or less they are entitled to a break at the Manager's discretion and where can I find the legal bit that says this?

You're right; it is 6 hours! Here's the link.

It does seem rather a long time to go without a break though, doesn't it? Particularly in early years. I don't think I'd be functioning very well after four or five hours without a short break.

I've recently been working 5 hours with o break, although it was offered. My friend, a manager, thought it was 6 hours. But, as a human being who loves a coffee and a fag now and then (or even just a coffee) 6 hours is asking too much i think and 4-5 is better. Its not always about laws but sometimes about how to best get the most out of people.

I always thought (tho I don't know why!) it was 10 minutes break in 4 hours and then at least 30 minutes after 6 hours.

At my Nursery we have 10 minutes mid-morning then a 30 minute or 1 hour break at lunchtime (depending on how long the shift is) and then work through until the end of the day - we try and timetable those who are working later to have the later lunch break so that they don't work too long witout a break.

Does that make sense?

pw

On Mondays and Thursdays I work 6 hours, as do all the staff. We each get a 30minute lunch break. I dont think you have to work 6 hours until you get a break, but your whole shift has to be 6 hours in total. I think our committee are over generous, but then our staff

turnover is very low, we also get paid for the 30 minute break.

Edited by cupcake