Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shoeboxes

Rea

Last year my mom filled a shoe box to give to Boots the chemist for charity, does anyone know if they or anyone else are doing the same this year? I think it was for refugees but I also think there are other beneficiaries. :D

We are doing this at pre school

I think there are different organisations that do it. Ours our going out to Romania.

Children are either filling their own boxes and bringing them in or bringing in contributions to fill boxes.

The children have been really keen and interested - it is the second year we have done it and I am currently looking into going out to help deliver the boxes.

Oh, nearly forgot, the organisation we are doing it through is the samaritans purse

operation christmas child.

Afraid to admit I dont know how to put a link in but if you type samarians purse into your search engine it will come up with lots of different sites - hope this helps.

The children at my school decorate and fill their shoe boxes every year for 'Love in a Box' a charity run by 'Mustard Seed. The boxes are delivered to children in Bosnia and Romunia and others.

• 11 months later...

Looks like I've missed the start of November again :o , but I just wanted to ask if anyone else has heard that samaritan purse includes christian material in their boxes. Somebody on the bounty.com site said that the director of the company has said Islam is evil and has celebrated the war in Iraq as a defeat of Islam. I find it disturbing and wondered if anyone else has heard this kind of thing from them. I dont want to donate through a company who thinks this way. xD

They clearly state that they are a Christian organisation, so putting literature in the boxes to that effect is not so unusual, is it? They say that they are there to help everyone, whatever their religion etc. There's nothing on the website in the tone of the last part of your mail, as far as I can see, but, if you're still concerned, why not contact therm & see what they have to say?

I googled Franklin Graham, who is the man in charge of the Christmas Child side of the Evangilist set up. He's the son of Billy Graham.

He did make comments about Islam and Muslims, which other Evangilists leaders condemmed. They said he should 'temper his remarks', and that his comments put Christians working in the Muslim world at risk.

Everyone is entitled to their views but to voice those views in todays society is questionable. A old collegue of mine said last week 'Arent brown babies lovely'. Appalling, and so were Franklin Graham's comments. I will look for other organisations to donate through.

Thanks weightman for making me check it out. :D