Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Artists In School

I'm 'The Arts' leader in my infant school and i'm keen to work with an artist on a creative project in the nursery next year.

Who has got experience in working with artists? How did you get in touch with them? How smoothly did it go?

If you have any tips i'd like to hear them :o

Also in the future i'm looking to apply for the Artsmark for our school. Has anybody successfully done this at their setting?

Thanks

Hi In another life I was a potter I am also an early years teacher who has lots of interest and experience in creative work in the foundation stage and have taught courses to practitioners. i don't have a job for september. I could be your artist what are you thinking of? sally

xD I think my reply has gotl lost!!! so if you read this twice I apologise.

I have worked with 2 artists andindeed did my dissertation about this very subject 13 years ago! :o

T he most recentwork was with an artist this Tuesday! :D as part of the Big Arts week.

Last year I searched and found one in Brighton ;part of some organisation or another...and we had another lady who came in for our activity weekl ast year too.

All experiences have beengreat. Thekids have got so much out of it....especiallythe more reluctant ones.Language development, motivation,communication...a really cross curricular learning experience. It has alsoprovided lasting pieces ofwork which the children createdand so are proud of. ALL contributed.. from 4t o 16 years of age. I hope that the statusof Art in the school and amongstthe students will beginto rise!

Go for it..it's worth every penny and more :D

Thanks

I am in the middle of a project at the moment and can already see that there are so many things i could have got help with if I had planned ahead a bit more. I think I shall draw up a checklist of 'things to do before you start a project..'

Next year i shall be much better prepared, and I think contacting a local college and getting some enthusiastic AND FREE help from some art students will be the way to go! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi there

My area is Bolton, Lancashire. We have a service called Artists in residence. Fantastic service developed by the LEA, brilliant resource. Good for the children and also the practitioner - who gets lots of good ideas, increases confidence etc etc.,

the early learning goals state that children should have the opportunity to work alongside talented artists. so take this to your early years advisor etc etc - there is funding for it, we also did an arts project for older children through the housing association ('per cent for Arts')

check out the website -

http://www.ais3.net/ais/ais.asp

Hi Everyone

In Birmingham we have a scheme called 'Teachers as Artists' where the LEA part funds nurseries/schools to set up a project working with a professional artist. This maybe music, art, pottery, dance etc. It is well received and I have worked on this project in my previous nursery where the children worked with an artist to produce an interactive mural in the outdoor area. :o

In my present nursery we have been lucky enough to work with local artists to create 2 wall hangings and present a dance workshop all relating to 'animals'. The children and staff thoroughly enjoyed it! It is such an exciting way for children to learn. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)