Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help!

Guest lou73

Hi

Please help me...... I qualified two years age and have worked as a nursery teacher since that point, and must say that I never want to work with any other age range. The nursery where i work has two teachers employed in the unit and two TA's one of which has been there a long time is a HLTA....it is this lady i need help with....she contridicts me, does not always does as asked, and generally over steps the mark in terms of her role and mine! I have tried to address this with her but it is very difficult, I really like her on a personal level but feel i need to define her role and mine.....any help or advice with dealing with difficult staff memebers would be great. Thanks

I've had this in the past and it is really hard so I can totally sympathise with you. Have you spoken to anyone about this - I did not because I thought it was only me that had had a problem with her but a couple of years later when someone else was having problems with her it came out that so many people had found her hard to work with - it wouldn't have solved the problem but at least I would have known that it wasn't because she thought I was doing a bad job!

Since then someone else has had a problem with someone else to a lesser extent and we spoke about it at a meeting we had and our head and deputy said that as it written in their job description they are actually contracting to supporting the teacher, etc... and if she is not working according to this then something should be said. I know however that this is hard.

What about finding jobs for the TA to do at certain times of the day which may keep her occupied. Or if she is so keen giving her responsibility for a certain area - she may be feeling under valued or not challenged enough so if you gave her an area to ensure it was enhanced, well resourced etc... it might keep her focussed on that as well as giving you less to do in that area.

You need to talk to your line manager as well to tackle this issue.

I think lots of us have been there and got that T-shirt, its not easy but I would say that you need support to do this.

I've a very similar situation and am using staff appraisals to bring this to the fore. The fact that I have tried to do it gently and sensitively and informally has been completely lost on the person so I have no choice but to do it this way. Actually, I feel more comfortable with the formality of it as I think she will have to take notice now (well, maybe!).

Good luck.

Guest lou73

Thanks for your words of support it is great to hear that i'm not the only person to be faced with this problem..... I think that lots of other staff members have found that she over steps the mark and has not always acted appropriately.

I think that I probably need to be more clear cut.....she makes me feel that i am doing things wrong when i know i'm not! I'm not sure how helpful talking it to my line manager would be as they are very good friends and she thinks that this lady is fabulous. Of course the said TA is always careful to follow out any given instruction to the letter, when given by the nursery manager and never contradicts her (how clever!).

Although I have tried to engage her in jobs to keep her busy she seems to ignore the majority of my requests......i end up feeling that i am being a nag!

Edited by lou73

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)