Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calling All Maintained Nurseries....

And how are you implementing the flexible hours?

I am with a setting in the PVI sector and have offered first dibs to those who registered before september 08, then the 2nd cohort what was left (no morning slots remaining) and am wondering how LEA settings do it. Do you go by catchment?

Also, we're offering a combination of slots and only the first few will be able to have fexible hours, the rest will have to fit around them. How does this work for LEA nurseries?

I've had 1 say yes please to morning slot, then change their mind 2 weeks later (in favour of LA place) then another who specifically wanted a morning place, but hasn't got one so has declined completely. I'm sure we'll have more changing minds/opting for LA as we do every year, just as we have one or two who start at LA then try to move to us once term's begun.

Sam

Edited by sam2368

So summer birthdays lose out?

We have this problem with our younger group and try to hold places for those unable to start until easter, but can only do so much otherwise we'd go under.

I also have the problem of people registering their new babies. Might have to rethink our admissions policy I think!

Sam

same at our pvi setting summer birthdays offered place in sept becuase we could not afford to hold places for them the plus side to this is all your children are all there together for the year or longer and they gel really well

As PVI we too did not hold places for summer children, BUT if a place was available we did often take them , many parents did not want them to start until the September anyway as they did not get funding before that.

We also did nto take any registrations before 2nd birthday, and often encouraged them to come at 2.5 ,

I really got irked by those who disappeared and did not let you know they did not want the place or even forgot!

Inge

We allow parents to register their children from the September the year before they start (maintained Nur) and places are allocated on a first to fill in a form basis. However, when they start, we take in the youngest children first as they have often missed out on pre school places for reasons already stated - works really well and the parents are so grateful - the Sep born childrens parents aren't though!!!!!!

Your replies are all really helpful - thank you.

I think we need to review our admissions policy; I'm very conscious, particularly for the younger group we take from 2 years & 9 months, those who can afford to pay get in first and secure a place. I can't really see how this can change for the younger group as we'd fail as a business if we held places for when everyone was funded, but at least it would make it much more fair for the funded children.

Sam

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)