Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Big Picture

My head has just asked me to do a board for parents informing them of the big picture. We do topic planning over 2 years and have a topic board for parents to look at. Not sure what she means. She said she wants an overall objective for each topic and wants it to be displayed for parents. This is on top of a thousand and one other things. Really stressed, can anybody help?

I have a permanent photographic display for the Early Learning Goals with some information regarding the goals printed straight of the on line QCA document for our parents. I used lots of photos of children past and present to illustrate the goals, you could list topics but I wouldn't give too much information.

Hey, why didn't i think of that! We too have a similar permanent display as mimi - it's always a talking point with new and prospective families and our parents show a lot of interest in how the children's play will benefit their development and learning (although they still also want to see 'work' on Parent's Evening! :o )

Shouldn't be too difficult to set up, you could perhaps post your 2 year cycle near it, highlighting the kinds of focus you might be using ?

Sue :D

Guest Sycamore

How helpful of your head! Are you not rehearsing for christmas, making christmas stuff etc?!!

Hope we can all help. I have a poster of Foundation Stage up and lots of the leaflets available.

How about photograph of the children with a construction toys like Knex and have a question like ' what are we learning from play?' then give examples of all the benefits of play e.g PSHE, CLL, MD etc.

Good luck, laminate as much as you can so you can keep it up or reuse it as much as possible.

An overall objective for each topic??? xD Does your head not know what is included in the foundation curriculum? How can you pick out one when you've planned to cover so much? :( I would go with the suggestions of the others and just highlight how the children are learning through their play in a general way. And tell your head to ........?!?! :o:(

Hi Susan, i have to do it for all the topics we are going to cover over 2 years. They are,

Feel and sense

Changes in Materials

Experiencing patterns

Animals of the world

Pirates

Journeys and holidays

All about me

Houses and homes

Stories

Colours

Growing

Toys

ok rocket, next questions--

are you reception or nursery? I presume you are nursery so is it is a class or a nursery school? How long are the children with you? Where within this cycle are you now or have you listed them as you are doing them ie currently feel and sense?

What do you have on your topic board already? Try and adapt what you do already to satisfy this whim! :o

I would be tempted to have some permanent items and some that change.

I would display all the ELGs on this board with the topic title and perhaps your topic web?

You could then add and change as necessary your focus learning objectives, perhaps 1 or 2 for each curriculum area?

If you do this as you go along as part of your planning exercise it ought to be manageable although I know it is another job! Laminate the cards as you make and use them and you will have a resource bank. Do you use learning targets for the children already? perhaps you could incorporate those?

I made myself a board and labelled it "I am learning to... ". I tried to find clipart to use and that was the hardest bit!

Good luck

We are an early years unit 2 pre school and 2 reception classes.We do 2 topics per term so are on our Changes in materials topic. Sorry for being a pain and thanks for all your advice. I would have a breakdown without this site.

Not a pain, rocket, never a pain, but overworked I might accept!

SO you could have 2 different target statements/ learning objectives for each curriculum areas to cover your different age groups. I am not suggesting that you are only working to these but they could be the most obvious for the topic title and your emphasis.

Any better?

SNAP Susan I have an "I am learning to... ". display but I have used photos of the children - cutting with scissors - sharing toys - riding a bike.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)