Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Permission To Contact External Agencies

In the spirit of the EYFS/working togther I have just sent home a revised transition policy with a permission form attached - requesting permission to contact other settings a child attends/setting or school child will be transferring up to and a list of other agencies - health visitor/SLT/GP/Area senco etc to contact if and when the need arises.

I've had very mixed feedback from parents -some very concerned at the thought of information sharing. Has anyone else done anything similar and what have the parents thought of it?

We have a transition booklet provided by our borough which we fill in and then go over with the parents, parent have the option of making a comment and sign to agree to us sending it onto school. Depending on our relationship with parent this is just a formality otherwise it is handled sensitivily and our reasons for sharing information are given. If there are major concerns I usually do a school visit with the parents and child which tells the school all they need to know really without saying anything. Does that make sense, if, as the SENCO I am calling to ask if we can make a visit they will realise that there is a reason this child is having 'special' treatment. Again I would explain to the parents the need for this preparation, it gives us a chance to take photos and make books which remind the child over the summer holidays as 6 weeks is a long time for them to remember.

Speaking purely as a parent, I'd feel uneasy about being asked this, although as someone who knows the EYFS I can see why you'd do it. Perhaps it would be easier to ask on a case by case basis, rather than trying to get blanket coverage in this area? Presumably with most children you wouldn't need to speak to people like GPs or social workers?

If it's purely transition to primary, I don't think parents would feel uncomfy with that.

HTH,

Sue.

I should have said the transition booklet is a synopsis of the childs development in the time they have been with us and where they are now, but it also allows for any areas of concern to be shared so the teachers doesnt waste time doing obs and referring only to find out soemthign we already new and had been working on.

Speaking purely as a parent, I'd feel uneasy about being asked this, although as someone who knows the EYFS I can see why you'd do it. Perhaps it would be easier to ask on a case by case basis, rather than trying to get blanket coverage in this area? Presumably with most children you wouldn't need to speak to people like GPs or social workers?

If it's purely transition to primary, I don't think parents would feel uncomfy with that.

HTH,

Sue.

Mmm yes. The reason I thought I about getting 'blanket coverage' was to avoid a parent feeling singled out because her child does have other agencies involved that I needed permission to share info with. I felt if I offered this to all parents (I received a similar form when I enrolled my child at school, asking for permission to seek support from other agencies if the need arose) then I would be being inclusive. I felt it would enable me to discuss, for eg., feeding problems or potty training with a health visitor if I needed.

However, some feedback has shown that parents are obviously uncomfortable with this. Just wanted to know if others settings do this, as maybe I could word my letter a bit differently.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)