Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chicken Pox!

Arrrgh!!!!!

I had chicken pox when I was 18 in my Gap Year and thought that was it - phew! Unfortunately, the fab Nursery my niece attends has a bit of an outbreak. As my sister is pregnant and she is around 20 weeks, her consultant advised her to keep my neice off until it clears up which the Nursery have been fantastic about. The consultant advised as she had already had a scare with slap cheek and then hand foot & mouth!

I have been going in to the Nursery as part of a pre-planned programme gain some Nursery experience once a week. I spoke to my GP said I was ok as I had already had it and as long as I was careful and made sure I didn't touch un-crusted spots and made sure I washed my hands etc I would not be able to pass it on. This I have done to the hilt. He did say I couldn't get it again which is why I have continued going to the Nursery and also doing supply in schools where they have it. However, I was talking to some colleagues in another school today and they said it was possible to have chickenpox twice which some of them had experienced.

Unfortunately my best friends son who attends the Nursery has developed it and I had contact with him 6 and 1 days before the spots emerged! Last night I noticed a few spots and this afternoon a few more. My tongue feels like it has ulcers on it and I have been sneezing all day (never been to Mexico honest!)

I'm sure its ok and that it just could be my hayfever setting in, but I am really worried that it may be chickenpox again! Unfortunately I wasn't home in time to call my GP (mobile ran out of battery) so I have to wait till tomorrow.

Is this just a few cases of people getting chicken pox twice or can you really really get it twice?

L

No you can get chickenpox twice or even more, and even if you had it as an adult! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it might not be that.

I didnt know that you could get it twice - I have had a bit of an epidemic of chicken pox in my class in the last few weeks - last week had 12(!!) children out with it and a couple more have now got it - I have been happily going around saying "well ive already had it so i will be ok"!!

I don't think it is too common as I have survived a few rounds of it in recent years, but it is not a given that you can't get it again. I first had it as an adult and it was horrible so I am really hoping I don't get it again, although we don't seem to have it round here at the moment

If you had a very mild case first time round then your body may have not produced enough antibodies to protect you in future. When you got it last time, was it quite bad or not??

All I can remember is that I had the 'spots' all over my body and face and I slept lots and lots!!! Not the best way to wake up Christmas morning lol! No-one else in my family caught it even though we had been in close contact and didn't even think that I would get it. First day back at the school where I worked in my Gap Year was quite interesting as it turned out that most children had come down with it on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!

No you can get chickenpox twice or even more, and even if you had it as an adult! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it might not be that.

Oh no!!! Tis good to know that it is possible - will sit (and sleep which is more likely :o ) and wait and see what happens overnight! Phone is by the bed and fully charged so I can ring first thing for an appointment at the docs tom and am locking the doors!

Am feeling more itchy as the evening progresses but wonder if it's like when you discover a child has headlice and you start scratching your head...

Guest Wolfie

I've got everything crossed for you - please keep us updated! I had it as an adult and it was the worst thing I have EVER experienced...well, if you discount childbirth!

My daughter had chicken pox really mildly when she was three months old and then had SHINGLES when she was four! And gave every child in her nursery chicken pox because the doctor initially diasgnosed it as insect bites!! :o

As the others have said yes you can get it more than once!! Have a warm bath this evenig and if you are going to get it I think you will find the spots will apear shortly after!!!!

We have lots of children off with chicken pox too at the moment. I have never had it but my 2 brothers had it twice, midly the first time. I have nursed my own children with and been in contact with children at work. Hopefully Touch Wood I will not get it

we have had loads of children off with chicken pox - i think the last week before half term we had eight to ten off most sessions (pre-school) but still have parents phoning to say child has chicken pox.

some children are on their second lot of chicken pox - read somewhere that chicken pox is most prevelant (?) in april to june -and they were right.

our local infant school has had scarlet fever and like you didnt think it was still around

Edited by blondie

No point adding that you can get chickenpox more than once.... but I do think it depends on how your body managed to fight it first time round.

Some peoples immune systems must be stronger against the chicken pox than others I think!!

I had chickenpox in middle school so wehn I was 11 or 12 I think, and whilst I have the scars from the incident I have never had it since or shingles (touch wood!!) despite many years in nursery and before that in a hospital setting!!

Also just to say chickenpox is most virulent the day BEFORE the spots erupt (when you have no idea it is on the way!!) and when the spots are open.

Fingers crossed its "JUST" hay fever!!!!

Thanks everyone for your replies - I have an update!

Woke up this morning very nasally (the hayfever thankfully!) and still itchy, spots not as bad as the day before (although a few more in other places) and had a sore throat to add to it all!

Went to see GP - had throat & mouth swab taken (just in time for the collection) as she thinks it may be a virus but have to wait until Tuesday for results. She wasn't sure what the spots could be - could be chickenpox or even scarletini! xD Have got lotion to apply to relieve itchiness and a prescription for penicilin in case things get worse! :o

Am now with feet up and plenty of liquids by myside and several DVD box sets ready for the weekend! Am gutted as I am not able to go to the coast for the weekend with friends though as was really looking forward it. :(

Edited by Guest

Great news today! Had results back from GP and thankfully all normal! After a weekend of taking it easy, my nasallyious (not sure if a word!) was my hayfever and has cleared up, the spots have been due to me being hot and although my throat is still sore, is probably due to the nasal spray I have been using for the hayfever.

Well onwards and upwards from here am being observed for a job tomorrow so am spending the day prepping for that one!

Thanks again to everyone for you help

xx