Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq Unit 3

Trying to gather evidenve for this unit,My assessor is coming on monday ro see a fire drill.but don't know what else i will need to show,this is my first unit so unsure what to expect. :o cathy.

Hi Cathy -

I think you mean E3 don't you? (Plan and Equip Environments for Children).

Assuming that's the one you mean, you need to look at our article (E3 Guidance).

If you already have and need specific questions answered, just let us know what it is you need to know!

:)

If its for E3, your assesor should have provided you with an assessment plan. she will write down on this what she wants you to show her.

i had to show her arround the setting, pointing out health and safety features.

talk through my account of a fire drill. point out contact numbers and explain procedures for contacting adults.

show the fixtures and fittings of the setting

point out storage facilities.

nothing to get to het up about really, i just pointed out fire exits, how things were stored safely, etc. if you want more info just shout :o . but ive had three assesments now, and learnt, no matter how well you are going to plan for their visit, it never turns out that way. its much better to just go with the flow. basically on E3 she is just checking the setting is safe, and you know health and safety issues. :)

It's really important that you sit and read through the PCs for this unit so that you are fully aware of what you are being assessed on. You will have also been gathering together evidence for your portfolio so should have a good idea of the sorts of things you should be doing in your setting already to cover it. Have you had a planning meeting with your assessor? I was really nervous the first time my assessor came out but soon forgot she was there. :)

Hi!

All the advice you have been given is excellent, PLEASE don't hesitate to shout if you need more help, here or anywhere else!!

And Assessors are great!! (Of course, I'm not prejudiced at all :o )

Sue :D

your right there, assessors are great, mine is so laid back, and takes everything as it comes, if i cant cover something on one particular session, shell find something else to cover from what i have done. they are there to help and encourage. mine does anyway. They want you to complete the nvq.

Thanks everyone yes i did mean E3,what you told me has helped,well she's coming tomorrow for a fire drill, which i haven't done before,my supervisor has talked me though it ,still a bit nervous.Not sure if will be able to walk her a round the setting as i might bring our ratio down.Have read though the E3 on the forum it helped keep them coming it's great having another resource to refer to.Will let you know how it went.

Cathy :D

Hi,

my assessor stayed all morning and we managed to cover all of E3.

I had to show her around the building pointing out fire extingusters,first aid boxes etc then she asked me lots of questions as well as carrying out the fire drill.So pleased to have finished one unit.But she isnit coming back to do P2 until Januray which puts me behind everyone esle as we are now doing C2 at college.Feel really frustated that i can't get on with it will have to speak to my Tutor at college i think.

Thanks

:D Cathy

can you not just work through the written parts of the units at your own speed, and the assessor assess you when she can. i am doing the nvq while working in a preschool, have done all the written work for E3, C2, C3, C7, C10, and she has only been out and assessed me twice. and not even marked 4 of the units yet, when ive finished one she just gives me another.

just in the middle of C10 now, and im finding it a nightmare....

Good luck anyway, and im glad your assesment went well, i always find my assesser is there to offer help and guidance, rather than judge, which takes the presure of a little.

I worked in the same way as you Stevedeny. :) I had quite a few units 'under my belt' before my assessor was even allocated. I continued to work at my own pace throughout and the assessor came out at intervals which suited her to assess me. We ended up both finishing at the same time which worked well for us both. :D

i like the snowman Beau, have you finished your NVQ now. my assessor told me she wont be in untill middle of January now, so she is going to have about six units to cover by then, mind you the way im going on C10, ill just about have finished that, but still im sure shell get her part done, i have every faith in her, even though when she comes to see me she is always about half an hour late, and desperatley wanting a fag....

did you feel any preasure when your assessor was watching, i dont, which is not like me, i think its because she has the knack of blending into the background with her head down scribbling away. the children dont even bother with her. she says its about negative body language, interesting. perhaps i should try it on my nearly 4 year old, he has gone from a little angel to a complete monster in the matter of two weeks. xD i think ill be posting for some help on that one. :o

I finished at the beginning of Oct and have now started on the Assessor course. So no bad words about assessors please!! :o I too didn't have a problem with being observed once I'd got the first one out of the way. I was always amazed when she gave me her observation notes and I saw how much I had done each session. :D She ended up only coming out to observe me about 5 times. I think some of my mums were a bit surprised that she just sat somewhere out of the way and didn't engage with anyone much until she'd finished, but that's what assessors do!

Sorry to hear about your problems with your son. xD Children often go through stages of testing the boundaries - particularly when they've just started at school and have new found independence. Be patient and I'm sure you'll get past it. :)

Thanks for your advice,makes me feel easier about it all.It was worrying me thought i may get left behind,as several others have finished both units and have started C2.But have spoken to my tutor and she wasn't pleased that she was leaving it to January as is coming herself to assess me at parents evening so it seems that they like to get the units signed off asap.

My assessor is lovely didn't give me any written questions just oral ones,do you have to have more then one type of evidence on your eels?

Cathy

Cathy,

Your assessor may assess you using a variety of methods but ultimately should choose the way that suits you best. Not all people are comfortable answering oral questions but if that suits you then that is probably what your assessor will use. :D Remember - this is your award and you should decide how it proceeds. :)

I've just had a terrible shock, looking through some recent Nursery Worlds!! :(xD

The Occupational standards appear to have been undergoing a revamp and are due to be agreed this month!! Oh No!! Has all my work on the NVQ Guidance series been in vain!! :o

Sue :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)