Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Allocation Of Staff In Nursery

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could let me know how staff are allocated during the nursery session.

I have just started working in a school as a nursery nurse (I have previously only worked in playgroups) I was suprised when I was aked to take a group of 10 children to do a musical activity to teach them about keeping a beat, I had no time to prepare anything or plan my activity and it had not been discussed with me until that time. Yesterday I was allocated to do a measuring activity - again totally out of the blue. Fortunately both went well but I am finding it very strange that I am not given the opportunity to plan for my activities.

Every morning the teachers put up a sheet with the staff allocation on them and this changes every day, sometimes it is just general jobs but others can be quite specific activities. I have tried to explain that I would like to know in advance as I like to be well prepared, but no information has been forthcoming.

I would like to discuss the situation with the teachers but thought it would be interesting to hear your views before I do, many of the goings on in the nursery are new to me and I have to admit to feeling a bit daunted at times going from a 20 place playgroup to a 107 place nursery!

Thanks

Zan

Strikes me that they are suffering from I'm the teacher and have to do everything itis. Go and say I am used to planning activities and if you give me the focus I can do this!! They are used to directing adults not working with other adults probably and maybe have had other staff who wouldn't take that level of responsibility. You should have the planning in advance or at least sight of it so you can engage with the expected outcomes etc.

They're being daft and need telling!!!

Cx

Hi Zan

sorry that you first experience of a school nursery is a bit daunting at first.

I am the lead teacher in our nursery. There are 2 teachers and 2 T.A's and we each have responsibility for 13 children in each session (we are a 52 PT nursery). We all deliver focused activities and lead large group activities such as rhyme time etc.

As a TEAM we map out together what we intend to do and then the teachers sit down and plan out in more detail (the T.A's are more than welcome to stay for this but as they are their pay and working conditions are not the same there is no obligation for them to stay and do so; personally I would be delighted if they could but do not expect it).

We plan on a Thursday the main aspects for the following week and this is then discussed on the Friday as a team so that we all know what needs to be done/ how and with what resources.

Other planning comes into it as things change as the week goes on and so we get together at 8.30 for a quick overview of the day and then again (more importantly) at 3.30 to discuss the day's events and 'PLODS'

I can honestly say that I would not be happy on the receiving end of last minute planning nor be happy to give planning out to anyone working with me if the intention was to offer high quality learning experiences. How do other members of staff feel? Is this the norm i.e. have they always 'planned' this way?

Is there a line manager you could speak to? In our school T.A's have a performance management type session with senior staff to ensure there needs are being met and they too are set small achievable goals, so they can have a voice too.

This should not continue Zan and you need to be heard. As much as anything you will have a wealth of experience and ideas to contribute to the nursery and your voice needs to be heard.

In my opinion T.A's working in maintained school nurseries are underpaid (I know lots of T.A's out there will be shouting not only in Nursery).

But T.A's in nurseries have more responsibility than those in the school as they not only support and deliver the learning for their key children (26- nearly a standard class size) but are responsible for dealing directly with parents/ observing and assessing and completing profiles and writing reports. T.A's don't have to do this in school.

Where possible we give time back or find some way to give them PPA, but ultimately they should be given more PAY!!! (ok sorry my rant is now over and I have pushed my soap box back under the desk!)

I'm currently in reception-What you are describing is as it has always been I'm afraid. Recently since e-mail i tend to get plans e-mailed the night before (sometimes very late) previously its been in the 'briefing' before the morning session. In fact I encourage teachers to leave the delivery up to me.I find it restricting to be told a-z how to deliver the learning intention.Thinking on my feet is something that I've developed and its stood me in good stead for EYFS approach.I much prefer to get 'develop one to one counting skills with core group' on a planing sheet and choose my own approach which I can make very play based :o instead of worksheet. xD

Planning PPA I know I produce my planning to suit myself and family life so I can't expect teachers to do otherwise even if its not convenient for me. I usually do my planning for the 2 afternoon sessions PPA at the very last minute which for tomorrow will be at 6am as I'm still chewing over how I can do what is expected while still following the childrens current interests.Means I can change and revise at the last minute.

But T.A's in nurseries have more responsibility than those in the school as they not only support and deliver the learning for their key children (26- nearly a standard class size) but are responsible for dealing directly with parents/ observing and assessing and completing profiles and writing reports. T.A's don't have to do this in school.

I have to disagree with this. I do one year in nursery and then rise with the intake to reception in a rolling programme .I find the workload much easier in nursery. In reception we still assess, deal daily with parents, observe, learning journeys PLUS profiles, reports, data collection, more detailed planning, whole school responsiblities, assemblies, share teaching delivery and more with a much small team of 2 adults to 30 children.

Hi

I'm in reception so it's slightly different but we plan on a Wednesday for the following week. Our TAs then have the opportunity on the Thursday and Friday to read through the planning and timetable and ask anything they are not sure about. It is then displayed for the week. We also are in regular discussions during the day so that as someone else mentioned, there is high quality learning going on as we know that if any of our team aren't confident they can't carry out the job as effectively.

Hi

Thank you so much for your replies, armed with some words of wisdom I am definitely going to speak to the teachers about the situation.

I very much enjoy my job and like to be involved in all apects of the nursery, I love to plan my activities properly as I like to feel that I am delivering 'quality learning experiences.' at the same time I do appreciate that there are occasions when you do have to think on your feet and adapt to go with the children, so a balance between the two would be good!

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Zan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)