Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wow Topics

Hi, I am wanting to change our long term planning and wondered if anyone could post the theme or topic that has been the most exciting and stimulating for the children, or which have produced the best outcomes. We work using learning walls, but the parents have asked that we provide some theme base for them to then input ideas about. Thanks xx

PS Previously we have done the most traditional of themes, but we are definitely ready to 'go for it!'

Family Activities topic was really enjoyed by the children as was easy for them all to relate to. Activities included -

Tesco role play - money, reading shopping lists and role play

Museum - science / art / history artefacts (lots of questioning by the children)

Art gallery - looked at variety of artists and they painted some wonderful paintings of anything they were inspired to do.

Table football - good PSED for sharing and taking turns

Cooking - used playdough and cooking utensils

Pegging out the washing - fine motor

Water play - washing up

Family board games

Family meal role play

Cleaning the house - ICT linked role play toys and dustpan and brush

Writing a postcard from a family holiday

Soft play area - gross motor

Campsite - map reading and making binoculars

Magnetice fishing game

All children thoroughly enjoyed, we only did it for 2 weeks but could have continued as there was so much they wanted to play with (and learn too!!)

Hope this is of some use to you.

Family Activities topic was really enjoyed by the children as was easy for them all to relate to. Activities included -

Tesco role play - money, reading shopping lists and role play

Museum - science / art / history artefacts (lots of questioning by the children)

Art gallery - looked at variety of artists and they painted some wonderful paintings of anything they were inspired to do.

Table football - good PSED for sharing and taking turns

Cooking - used playdough and cooking utensils

Pegging out the washing - fine motor

Water play - washing up

Family board games

Family meal role play

Cleaning the house - ICT linked role play toys and dustpan and brush

Writing a postcard from a family holiday

Soft play area - gross motor

Campsite - map reading and making binoculars

Magnetice fishing game

All children thoroughly enjoyed, we only did it for 2 weeks but could have continued as there was so much they wanted to play with (and learn too!!)

Hope this is of some use to you.

Thanks, what a lot of ideas to go at! My mind is beginning to work again x

Thanks, what a lot of ideas to go at! My mind is beginning to work again x

The one springs to my mind is ourselves-we looked at the senses got messy with feely activities. another one was people and places-i have 3 polish and 1 russia in my class so we explore lots of different countries all parts uk europe china hawaii usa we tasted food dances etc. a home project to do as family was to explore a country and bring something in the parent made alsorts posters collages etc. One im doing next term is let's explore which then opens a whole range options

hope this helps nic

Superheroes and Fairies was so rewarding for me. The children were obsessed with both, so I planned in a months worth of activities. A really fun topic... and got the boys writing like there was no tomorrow.

Last term we focussed on people who help us and I asked the children what they would like to have in our role play area, narrowed it down to 3 which were Library, Dr, or police station. The majority wanted a library and so we created our own Class Library with labels, cards, book reviews etc. Also every child covered a cardboard box in paper and designed their own front cover of their book and then they wrote their own story or information on the back. So we used A4 folded paper which they wrote, drew on and was then attached to the back of the book. They were so proud to be Authors and Illustrators and every child was able to access it at their own level. Some produced very simple books with only 2 pages, others wrote continuously and today (our first day back) one little girl asked if she could continue her book again. The boys loved it as they could make their own adventure/ spiderman/ Ben 10 books and then they were all displayed in the Class Library. We also arranged a visit to our local library where they were shown different types of books and how to take books out etc. We are finishing this off this week by making a class book showing our route to the library and the things we did there.

We also had visits from police, firemen, lollipop person and our school vicar. The outside role play became a police station and lots of imaginatice play going on.

Hope this all makes sense

Nicky Sussex :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)