Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

To Smack Or Not To Smack?

Gezabel

Not sure if this issue has been discussed before, but wondered what you all thought on the subject.

I am personally 100% anti and my adult sons have never been smacked.

In the workplace of course, it is out of the question and if I was stupid enough to smack a child in my setting I would expect, at the very least to lose my job.

I have recently read in the national press about a GP who is alleged to have hit a 3yr old girl brought to his surgery by her parents. The child was unwell and sitting on her fathers knee, as the doctor approached the child she started kicking her legs and supposedly kicked the GP in the groin, he allegedly hit the girl in a 'refex action'

The parents left and took the child to hospital where it was discovered she had blood in her urine and further investigation resulted in kidney damaged being diagnosed. The child has fully recovered but the parents are calling for the GP to be struck off. The GP has worked as a doctor for 30 years, treating thousands of children successfully and is adamant he should keep his job.

Glad I'm not the one who has to decide his fate. Obviously smacking is'nt acceptable, but I suppose in some cases it has to be weighed against all the good this GP has done over the previous 30 years and whether it really was a 'one off'. I imagine there are anger management courses available for people who do make a genuine slip up, but then on the other hand, what if he does it again? Or was being kicked in the groin a genuine cause for a reflex reaction? Very hard to make a clear cut decision on this, but saying that I would personnally expect to be shown the door. :o:D

Well I think if the doctor actually hit the child he should lose his job. A doctor has to treat all kinds of vulnerable people who can be violent at times but that doesn't give anyone the right to hit them. Who will this doctor pick on next.It may be someone who cannot speak up fot themselves.I have seen many sick children in hospital who have been violent because they are scared and in pain when having to undergo examinations or procedures but medical staff were always trained to get their confidence not hit them.!!!!!

I have in the past been kicked or had my hair pulled when trying to comfort a distressed child at pre-school. You just learn to step aside and try another tactic to calm a child.