Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fractions

Hi has anybody got any group activities or ideas on teaching this to Reception children?

I have all the obvious ones (cakes, pizza etc)

Be nice to get some new fresh ideas!

Using fruit? Something like an apple shows halves and quarters really well. It's great to use real stuff!

Mind you going back to pizzas, my colleague used pictures of pizzas from quarters all the way up to 2 pizza's so quarter, half, three quarters etc.. and she remarked what a good understanding they had of fractions and could order them and talk about them using some of the correct language. It shows when food is involved they can see the order!!!!

Thanks for your replies.

We have having a whole week focus on fractions that is why i need to do it formally. Normally i do this informally but we are all having to do planning for a week to show progression!!!

Thanks for the ideas.

Any more out there?

So, dont you need to show that in FS the concepts can be "taught" in play based situations?

You could have a cafe and divide and distribute food, using the language of fractions and take bookings using time fraction concepts? Can you find a story to reinforce this? Surely that shows the progression that is required by your SLT?

Remember your statutory doc is the EYFS and I dont think any of the ELGs specifically mention fractions although it would obviously be evidenced within a problem solving context. Even in yr1 I am not expected to teach quarters until at least the summer term!

So, dont you need to show that in FS the concepts can be "taught" in play based situations?

You could have a cafe and divide and distribute food, using the language of fractions and take bookings using time fraction concepts? Can you find a story to reinforce this? Surely that shows the progression that is required by your SLT?

Remember your statutory doc is the EYFS and I dont think any of the ELGs specifically mention fractions although it would obviously be evidenced within a problem solving context. Even in yr1 I am not expected to teach quarters until at least the summer term!

I totally agree with Susan - I assume you're not expected to show the formal notation for it because I think that would be confusing.

Thanks for the advice.

No i do not need to show the formal notation just different group activities throughout the week, showing progression for HA children. Need different group activities.

But thanks all for ideas, painting is a good idea to show half. I will stick to Halve and leave quarters then.

I would have thought that to show progression in the teaching of fractions you would show the earliest stepsin fractions that are included in psrn in the eyfs. So a dev matters statement that directly leads into fractions is 'share objects into equal groups and count how many in each group'. Talking about 4 lots of 2 marbles is 8 marbles altogether. We have 8 marbles and 4 children so how many do we have each? Practically experiencing fractions as division. Not necessarily using the term 'quarter'.

But otherwise just practically, through cakes and art etc saying that if we cut something into 4 equal parts we call it a quarter. Time also is good for this, but could make things more complicated!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)