Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Risk Assessment For Climbing Trees

Does anyone have a risk assessment they've done for climbing trees? We've got two very low trees in our garden that the children have lately taken to climbing into. In the past the school's unofficial policy has always been no to this, but I could see it was safe and that the children were using the trees as an integral part of their play, so have spoken with HT and she agreed it was fine as long as I produce a risk assessment for it.

Just wondered if anyone had one to hand - risk assessments are my absolutely least favourite thing to do!

I went to look around a school and they encourage the children to climb the trees they painted or marked white lines on the trees and the children where not to go past that

look at the potential hazards ie falling, cuts, grazes and splinters how can you help prevent or pretect against them?

glad to hear your being encouraged to let the children explore the trees there are so many things kids arent allowed to do that we as children took for granted

Yes it's great that you're being allowed to do it.

I would say just examine the possibility and history of risk, how likely it is to occur, what you can do to negate or remove the risk and how it can be at least minimised.

Interesting Alison that you refer to 'kids' and your own childhood as 'children'. Hmm, what would a psychologist make of that I wonder ...

Interesting Alison that you refer to 'kids' and your own childhood as 'children'. Hmm, what would a psychologist make of that I wonder ...

yes very interesting..... its strange I wrote "kids" I try not to

incidently talking of kids...... I was out with my children the weekend saw a sign saying "kids eat free" and said "one of these days Im going to turn up with a goat!"

Edited by Alison

Interestingly, on a recent Forest School skills course when completing our risk assessment, the trainer had a blanket 'no climbing trees' policy for their school's risk assessment which I must admit surprised me somewhat. I seem to remember it was something to do with his experience of having to call out the fire brigade for children stuck in trees.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)