Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shapes In The Environment / Everyday Objects

Hi we went on a shape hunt and took photos, we also have them on the computer as a slide show, great for times when the children are sitting! they love shouting out both the shapes and what they are! We had groups going out a few weeks ago with clip boards and pencils to look for shapes and we have had them with sugar paper and crayons to do rubbings. We have also sent paper and crayons home for them to do them with their parents.

How about adding junk modelling too.

Lots of different shape boxes...could generate some good discussion with a little adult scaffolding.

Or you could use the boxes for printing.

Last week my reception class were hunting for patterns in the environment - i gave them laminated photos of different parts of the garden and inside the school and they ran around (most of the day!) hunting out the matching "real" pattern. I then gave them wax crayons to do rubbings with and they had the digital cameras for the rest of the week taking pictures of patterns they could find and we made a "guess where" book of pattern pictures. They also had great fun watching slide shows of their pictures on the intereactive white board. Dont see why this couldnt transfer into shapes in the environment too! :o

Hi we have a sheet I have attached it!!!!! Any way as I said we have a sheet, lots of children use shape words in discription of what they have built, can see ect. Every child has a sheet we just mark off and date as the children tell us.This show that we aren't foricng the issue but waiting for the child to tell us. We put shapes in obvious places, such as pre cut shapes on the craft table or soft play shapes on the active mat or plastic shapes in sand/water along with something else, these all lead to the same result. We try to have shape, colour number in all everyday play. Any way hope they help.

Kat

COLOUR.docx

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)