Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas Bank

Hi everyone

I hope that I have put this in the correct forum.

Has anyone subscribed to the Scholastic Early Years Bank? I just wondered if it was worth all my hard earned cash?

Thanks

:o Robin

yes I did but can`t say I really use the lesson ideas. The posters and games are good and I do try to display and use them. Am I correct in thinking it is the one at about £76 per year?

I subscribed to this a few years ago but like Gwen didn't make much use of lesson plans but the posters are useful. I found the lesson plans didn't have much content in the them although I have used them in combination with other plans or if I need something quick for a few days, maybe at the end of term.

Hi Robin

I reviewed the Activity Bank for Scholastic last year. I had a years free publications and I had to complete a questionnaire after each quarter. I have to say that I didn't like it very much. As Gwen and Bubblejack have already said the posters and picture cards were very good but I found many of the activities a bit too old and teacher orientated. I felt that a lot would need too much adult input. Their links to the stepping stones and ELGs were tenuous to say the least-many activities I felt were in the wrong area of learning. And I told them this. There were some good ideas but many needed adapting and in the end I felt that it caused a lot more work than being of any great help.

Somebody else may have found very useful but I didn't go on to take out a subscription myself.

Linda

Generally don't like Scholastic stuff all that much - it seems to provide quite a lot of activities which are rather obvious, and others that just take way too much resourcing (& I don't think I'm particularly lazy, just busy). Also agree with the point about tenuous links to objectives - things don't often seem to fit into the needs of moving the children on in the classroom context. Also it seems not to provoke me to be more thoughtful & improve my practise. Oops, seem to have slated them rather. Lovely posters etc!!!

Dianne xxx

have to agree, with all above, posters good - irritating the way they put lots of stuff on the back of them so you lose this if you display them!! Some of the ideas were good but needed adapting a great deal for us, and we found we were doing most of the ideas already, or had thought of it with group planning.

Inge

I'm onto my third folder now, and have subscribed for quite a while. I do find the posters and cards etc very good, and have adapted the activities where I needed to.

I don't use the activities as much as i thought i would, but they have come in useful. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)