Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Visual Time Table? Help

Hi all, I was advised by our local Special Needs School who we have links with that there is a video of a Visual Time table on the EYFS disk. I have spent 2 hours trolling through it ( slightly distracted by other interesting things of course) i can't find any reference to the video in question so thought i'd ask you lot as you know everything! I really just want to see one in action to know what to put on, when to introduce it and go back to it as at the moment the one we have is just sitting there. i didn't develop it and it isn't working. PLEASE PLEASE help me - we have several children in need of this after the hols...

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle

I had a trawl through EYFS too and found nothing! (Well nothing relevant!) did a quick google and found this:

Visual Timetables

Also I know Sparklebox have images for use on a visual timetable.

visual timetable link

Found this basic guide. Looked on the EYFS disk but found nothing..there is a tiny clip of a visual timetable in use on the letters and sounds disk - under environmental sounds (phase 1) ...but thats all I found.

We use a visual timetable in our setting - we took photos of key parts of the routine and used some symbols and laminated them then attached with velcro to a board.

For the past couple of years it just sat there and we didnt really use it as we should but we never had it truly accessible to the children - it was too high and they werent really encouraged to refer to it.

However we now have a polish child who it has come in very useful for - we referred to it often during settling in and use the cards everyday to reinforce changes from one activity / routine to another. We have moved it to a position where children can see and handle the cards and child will often take a card off and bring it to us for example when we change from play to tidy up time or if snack time is announced.

The key I think is for all staff to use it, keep referring to it and use the cards in context...oh and keep it simple! We had loads of cards at first for different activites - walk, songs, tidy up, circle time, outside play, toilet, wash hands..etc

Now we just have Play, snack, tidy up, group time, lunch and home.

We have a bank of other symbols on smaller cards in a file ...they can be used to support individuals -maybe creating their own timetable or prompts for using resources / areas which offer more detail about what they can choose from each day or which break down activities into their specific steps so for example snack becomes 'wash hands, dry hands, choose name, choose fruit, eat, tidy away' etc if necessary.

Guest Wolfie

Sparklebox has something that you could use. There is also the PECS system of symbols that you could use - if you Google that, something should come up but I think the system is quite expensive to buy. I've seen the cards for sale on eBay for a much more reasonable price - type in PECS and loads will come up!

Edited by Wolfie

I teach in a special school and we use a visual timetable across school. We use a programme called Boardmaker to make the symbols.

Here is an example of our morning that I took last year:

2299789179_b722967caf.jpg

Some classes use photos of the things if the children aren't ready for symbols.

Hope that is of some use to you.

Hi we use the visual timetable from sparklebox, to get the nursery one you need to download their tool bar but it costs nothing and looks really good.

Hello hopscotch,

I'm in the process of making a new visual timetable for our nursery class. I just use microsoft clipart to find the pictures I need and enlarge them to suit. It's free! I keep it simple eg. register, choosing time/outdoor play, circle time, fruit time, milk time, tidy up time and home time. I mount them on card and laminate. They are put on a velcro strip at child height in a prominent part of our nursery. The children are encouraged to remove the pictures themselves as we go through the session. We have a few children with special needs, English as a second language and a few new ones who are still unsettled and this helps with the "Is mammy coming yet?". Hope this helps.

we have a visual time table and we use photographs of the setting or children tsaking part, the time table is well used and liked by all we also hold up the picture when we ring the bell either snack time story time etc

it helps the children we have with eal

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)