Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Emergency Cover, Childminder

hi just wondered if anyone could clarify something for me!

on thursday one of my mums called and asked if i could provide cover from 11.30am-3.30pm for her daughter( i usually care for her on a mon, tues,weds) as her childminder had to go to hospital unexpectedly, i said yes but it would mean i would have 4 children under 5 so would have to ring ofsted and inform them( the reason i did this was because my friend who is a childminder was told by her inspector 2 months ago as long as u inform them its ok) got thru to someone at ofsted who put me thru to an inspector and she spoke to me like a piece of dirt virtually shouting saying ' you shouldnt go over your numbers!' she said she would have to talk to someone and get back to me. 45 minutes later a lovely chap from ofsted rang me back and asked how often this would be happening! i said its a one off thats why its called emergency cover!! he then said ' oh its only for today then ' i said yes then he said ok thats fine i will just log your call then!!!!

i thought the reason we have emergency cover childminders in our policies was to help out in emergencies like this?

can anyone tell me how emergency cover is supposed to work, or was the inspector i spoke to on a power trip!

thanks sorry to ramble on but thought this issue needed to be clarified.

To my understanding that is how its meant to work .

In a genuine emergency where the cover is not planned you are allowed to go over your numbers as long as it wont effect the safety or well being of any of the children in your care -and that you notify Ofsted - exactly as you did.

Think the inspector was on a power trip!!!

I agree with both of you!

The emergency cover worked exactly as it is supposed to, you informed Ofsted, the children were safe and I can't understand the attitude of the Inspector!

It's experiences like yours that make people wary of Ofsted!! :o

The Inspectors I met on Wednesday were great and I spoke to a lovely man on the helpline yesterday. He was really sympathetic, and supportive of me, in a difficult situation.

Just goes to prove it's the luck of the draw as to the reaction you get when you contact them.

Nona

I agree with both of you!

That's reassuring then! Welcome to the Forum, cara1235 - congratulations on making your first post! This is the beauty of the Forum - plenty of people around to give advice and support when you need it.

Hope this is the first of many posts - make yourself at home!

Maz

Welcome to the Forum, cara1235

thanks for the welcome and your replies, now i am on here you wont get rid of me lol ! x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)