Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do You Do It?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me?

I was just wondering if anyone could expalin how they document the obs etc and meet the eyfs?

I currently trying to change the way i deliver it, just looking for some ideas.

Thank you :o

oh i forgot to explain i work in a private day nursery.

just looking for some ideas

thank you for taking the time to read my post x

Hi - thought I'd answer as no replies yet but I'm not sure if it's what you're after.

Basically I use learning journeys to document children's learning and experiences in the setting. These observations are mainly linked to the areas of learning but since eyfs i also now link some of them to the commitments of the eyfs.

we're still trying to find a system that suits us all. We just kind of make sticky notes, or jot on a scrap of paper then give it to the keyworker. Here we all do something different for our profiles.. depends what it says really. I may use the info to tick something off their profile so I can show evidence they acheived it or if it's amusing or sweet I will put it with a little photo and explain to parents in a little caption what part of the EYFS this showed us they can do.. prob is .. we don't do as many obs as we should.. don't know how everyone finds the time? Will be keeping watch on this for tips myself..

each key person

will do long obs (usually a couple) at the beg of term (6 weeks)

we use that ob, the child and the parent to inform the planning for the next couple of weeks

learning is linked to the aspects in the eyfs and used to help plot or scoffold the childs learning using their interests

incidental short post it type obs are done all the time by key person or staff member

we also use well being and involvement

then the cycle starts again

my planning is done weekly that way i know where the children are and if my staff need any help or guidance

at present we plot obs in a journal thet we devised ourselves we also put in long obs and photo's which the parents keep when the child leaves

We also keep learning journeys which include long observations and lots of "On the spot" and "Wow!" moments. At the moment these are placed firstly in our learning wall and then in the child's A4 folder , in chronological order, but we are thinking about dividing them into areas of development again. Then using the fabulous download from the forum ( E.G eyfs record CLL) , we record the date which we have gathered the evidence. The main problem with this though is that all of this is hand written - The observation, significant learning and the next steps!!! We are trying to reduce this workload and have seen another setting uses printed stickers which states the main significant areas of learning. Each child has an entire set for the foundation stage in the back of their folder and the key worker can see very clearly which has not been observed yet and implement this into their observation and planning. Does anyone else use this sticker system and if so how successful is it?

Hope some of this makes sense and is of use to you!!!

Hi,

I am after same kind of information. I run a private day nursery and each member of staff has approx. 7 key children, they constanley complain that they do not have enough time to do any observations, so for 1 month as a trial they are just doing labels (or quick snap shots).

Any advice or samples of you guys formats would be great.

Spiceye :o

sorry bit lost here.................... you would still have to write the ob down or have i miss understood?? possibly!!!!!!!!!

we have pre written (for want of a better word) stepping stone nder all aspects for the 6 learning areas and the staff complete the ob that corresponds to the ss

observations are key to moving your children forward and planning for them

my staff have set days that they key work on and they are not on the rota for anything else

post it type notes are done all week

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)