Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mute Child?

Just wondered if anyone could point us in the right direction? We have an 18month old in our baby room who appears, apart from crying when distressed, to be more or less mute. He only smiles when he is happy - none of the staff have heard him actually laugh. Apparantly all his hearing checks have been fine, but we are getting increasingly concerned that he doesn't babble or seem to make any sound using his mouth at all. Has anyone ever come across this before? Thanks for any replies.

I can't really offer practical advice, but do they have an older sibling?

My son is 2 years younger than his sister, who from a very early age could talk for Britain. Son was rarely heard to utter a sound and I was really getting worried until daughter started school. He suddenly (literally same day!) spouted full sentences and then didn't stop, either!!! :(

He is now a perfectly normal 26 year old (whatever that is :o )

Any help?

Sue xD

Guest heleng

My brother didn't babble or speak until after quite intensive speech therapy at ages 3-5. He was dyspraxic and had to learn how to use the muscles in his mouth.

• 3 months later...

hi i look after :o a little boy who is 2 and a half but does not talk he under stand every thing i say in english and french and spenish which his mum talks to him in but dont talk doctors say when he will start he want stop. He does say things in baby words which i understand but no body eles.

Sushila09

I have worked in speech and language for a few years and our guidelines are if the child is showing no signs of speech by 2- 2.5yrs. But whatever age if the parent is concerned always refer. He is crying and smiling so is showing some emotion. I personally would make quite a lot of observations to use as evidence and maybe speak to the area senco off the record to see what your area guidelines are. Have you spoken to the parents? you will need parental permission to make it official.

there is also a publication called every child a talker on the national strategies website you can download. I will have a proper look at our guidelines for this age and post them later if you need them. In the meantime just keep talking to him at every opportunity making eye contact all the time. try musical toys and things can get a reaction making notes.

killowengirl

sorry should have asked do you have any background to his birth and early days? does he have older siblings etc

I have a similar problem in that I have a 20 monmth old who does not speak, he has no siblings doing the talking for him but he appears to hear everything and he does understand everything which is said to him!

I have had him for a month and in that time he has said the odd word - dog, chair, made a sound to mean train and car but he has only said these words once and no amount of praise or encouragement has made him say them again! He does say ta a lot in the right context for thank you

He does also babble so not having any experience other than my own children I'm guessing there is not much wrong with him and he'll speak when he's ready??!!

The only thing I have found is that if he wants something he will point to it and make a noise (sort of a low pitched screeching noise!). Now if this was my own children I would stand my ground and not give it to him until they ask properly even if it is just a please! Can I do that with a child I childmind or is that a bit harsh?!

I have downloaded the every child a talker publication and will have a look at that in my own time - thanks killowengirl!

I remember my younger daughter being like this but I did put it down to her having an older sister who talked for her. This was when she was 2 - now at nearly 4 she's such a chatterbox we can't keep her quiet and her speach is far more advanced than her nearly 4 years!

I have used this as an example to his parents. I know they are aware of it because they've asked my daughter to teach him to talk and they've said to me he needs to start talking.

We talk to him all the time, read stories and sing songs - is there anymore I can do?

Thanks Jennie

every child is different, I have had children that spoke the odd word then suddenly at 2.5 - 3 they came out with sentences. some children listen and take it in but choose to wait until they are ready to speak. If the tools are all there for language it will come. you are doing all the right things taking every opportunity to talk to the child and make them laugh. I would only be concerned before 2.5 -3 yrs if there was an underlying difficulty preventing speech. if this is not the case then just carry on what you are doing. If you are concerned speak to your area senco.

do you use toys that could give the child instant gratification such as pop up toys, musical ones that they have to do something to make it sound etc.

If you want to PM me with some other details I will be pleased to give some more specific activities and the advice we give on referral guidelines. I would do an initial assessment in the nursery and based on the results either refer or carry out activities that would support the child.

try using puppets and hiding games. If he is understanding time will bring him on, just keep doing what you are and observing just in case something else occurs that makes you think there could be other difficulties.

please pm me if you need more specific help

killowengirl

have you also seen the publication from the British Association for early childhood education called young children talking

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)