Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios For Nursery Class At Lunchtime

I am a reception teacher, but interested in how other nurserys in schools staff lunch time.

My understanding is ratio's should be 13:1, but at lunch time they have one (unqualified ) Lunch time organsier for each nursery class, about 20-26 in each of the 2 classes, is this the norm in other settings?

thankyou in advance for replies! x

Hello!!

I work in nursery where the children stay and have lunch if they want (they bring a packed lunch and eat it in nursery)

At 11.30, our nursery becomes a private concern.

Its run by school, by the staff employed by school, but it is classes as wraparound care from 11.30 -6pm. This includes lunchtime, private nursery provision in the afternoons and then afterschool club.

Becasue it is classed as private provision we have 1 : 8 ratio at lunchtimes.

In reception they are governed by different regulations and have the same dinner lady rations throughout the school I think!!!

I believe each lady has certain duties and maybe certain classes to oversee.

I don't think there are ratios in that instance.

Any help?!!!

In reception they are governed by different regulations and have the same dinner lady rations throughout the school I think!!!

I love the idea of dinner lady rations, Scarlettangel! :o

I think this highlights rather well the differences of experience of two children of broadly similar age but who attend different types of provision.

Maz

We are a playgroup which offers full day care .

I have a dinner lady who covers lunches with the staff , it means that our ratios don`t change and the staff that work 6 hours get a break away from the kids , we jsut have to take in turns to go for lunch.

i work in a private nursery and we usually have 2 staff members doing dinner - only way we can cover dinner times for the staff...so ends up being 2 staff for 16-20 pre school...with a manager floating if needed..

Hello mrspepperpot

In our nursery class we have two midday meal supervisers to cover in the nursery when the teacher and nursery nurse are at lunch. I think our school gets funding for this in our budget.

In our reception class the teacher and nursery nurse make sure the children are settled in the lunch hall, then the meal supervisers (many are also TAs) look after them with the rest of the school children. I think we have four supervisers in the hall and three in each playground. If it is wet play there is one superviser in the reception class and another one is on duty along the corridor and cloakroom areas.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)