Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Every Child Matters

Hi all, need some of your help and advice pretty please

I was at an informal 'meeting' to discuss and update setting policies (prior to committee meeting) with the leader and ex-chair (who is now a member of staff but does admin and had written/updated policies for EYFS in Sept) as the policies did not reflect what the leader and I were writing (or wanting to write) in our SEF i.e. hardly any mention of EYFS in policies, jus added completely tokenistic, and some policies were very unclear and confusing... anyway I noticed during SEF session there was NO mention of ECM which I found quite strange but when I said to other staff member she didn't seem bothered and just added it under the safeguarding policy when updating latest legislation in brackets - there was no mention of childcare act 2006 or childcare act 2004 which made ECM legal anyway- she said 2004 was only an update of '89 but for me I think there should have been specific mention of ECM as it is fundamental to how all work on safeguarding and working with young children- even the EYFS is based on improving the 5 outcomes.... it has been on my mind for a few weeks now and the committee meeting is on Tuesday when they will be signed off. I feel as CP officer I want the ECM mentioned in some sort of detail as it is now the backbone of M-A working and CP. Am I being simply pedantic or should I raise it again with leader or go to the chair so ECM can be given the status it should in our policies???

Thanks in advance

No I don't believe you are being pedantic at all. ECM underpins the EYFS as you state and this should then underpin all your practice. Your policies ought to be a formal expression of your practice and you clearly understand the importance of ECM so in my opinion it ought to be reflected in the policies. Did that make sense for anyone not in my head ? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)