Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters To Other Settings

blondie

hi i know this has been discussed many times but we are still having trouble getting any feed back from many of the other settings our children attend. has anyone got a letter they send to these settings they would be willing to share please - it is so frustrating when you get told you need to be in contact with these people but they dont wnat to be in contact with you - thanks

I know it is good practice to communicate with settings for continuity but it is completely voluntary. You can only contact the other setting with parental permission as all records etc belong to the parents prior to statutory school age. The parents can choose whether or not to communicate with either setting or pass on information to the school when the child leaves you to move on.

I know it is good practice to communicate with settings for continuity but it is completely voluntary.

I'm not sure that it is voluntary any more, which is what some settings are finding so challenging. The practice guidance is quite clear on the need to communicate with other settings in order to provide continuity for children whose care is shared between two settings. Page 6 says:-

1.13 Many children will receive education and care under the EYFS framework in more than one setting. Some may attend part-time, while others may attend full-time and also use extended services, such as breakfast or after-school clubs. These patterns of attendance will be a key factor in planning. For children who attend more than one setting, practitioners must ensure effective continuity and progression by sharing relevant information with each other and parents.

You're quite right that there are issues of confidentiality here, but hopefully these can be overcome by sensitive discussion with parents to explain the benefits of settings communicating with each other (hopefully without resorting to "the EYFS says we have to" argument!).

Maz

Our parents all sign to say yes or no to information sharing when the child staert at nursery. All letters are shared before being sent to other settings.