Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted - What Are They Looking For

My head had given us a list of what OFSTED look for in a lesson, but I don't feel this is really relevant in an early years setting when you are often not teaching a 'lesson', but room managing, and overseeing the smooth running of the whole day. Does anyone have a list of what OFSTED look for in foundation stage? I think it is supposed to be quality provision, but I'd have to have something specific in writing. We are all being grilled :o

We were Ofsted'd just before Feb half term and the 2 person team hardly spent any time in nursery at all!!!!!!!

Most of the report (I felt) was from paperwork provided by the head.

The private half of the nursery had received Outstanding nursery education rating in the May and I believe it is only a reflection of what goes on in the mornings, plus we have lots of continuity staffing wise.

The inspectors asked lots of questions when he spoke to my colleague and I out of nursery later in the day, re planning and cohorts and the links with parents and reception.

They saw lots of exciting role play going on as they came and went through nursery but they didn't see any of the focused activity at all!

So, who can tell what they want to see!!

Edited by Scarlettangel

Hi

Helen's recent articles might help.

What do the most recent Ofsted reports tell us? What have inspectors focused on, during the first weeks of the EYFS? find it here

What do the most recent Ofsted reports tell us? What have inspectors focused on, during the first weeks of the EYFS? (Part 2) find it here

What do the most recent Ofsted reports tell us? What have inspectors focused on, during the first weeks of the EYFS? (Part 3) find it here

What can we learn from the first of the Ofsted reports on EYFS provision? (Part 4) find it here

Hope you find them interesting.

Sue

Guest Wolfie

If you look under Member's Articles, Helen has written four articles which summarise the findings of the first round of Ofsted reports on EYFS provision - they're entitled "What can we learn...".

All four articles give you very good pointers for self-evaluation of the quality of your provision and list the features of what Ofsted judge as high qulaity settings - very useful! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)