Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Emotions Display.

Hi every one,

i am looking to starting a new display for reception i want it to be a cosy area but to focus on children's emotions :o . I thought of may be getting the children to help make a cushioned quilt to hang on the wall or at the window as we have so many of them. Has any one done a emotions display before xD ? I am really stuck for idea's at the moment but i would like to make it interactive awell may be using talking photo albums.

regards Adele

Hi every one,

i am looking to starting a new display for reception i want it to be a cosy area but to focus on children's emotions :o . I thought of may be getting the children to help make a cushioned quilt to hang on the wall or at the window as we have so many of them. Has any one done a emotions display before xD ? I am really stuck for idea's at the moment but i would like to make it interactive awell may be using talking photo albums.

regards Adele

Hi Adel, I am also going to be focusing on this area and have started off by making a little book that has pictures from magazines with people displaying different emotions for the children to look at. I thought I would get the children to make an emotions plate with a pointer that they could indicate what they were feeling or a washing line with different emotions on so the children could peg their names on. I think this is from the new SEAL resources for EYFS. I'll keep thinking of ideas!

I have printed off faces - happy, sad, proud and excited and attached a long piece of paper to them (like a tail)

I gave each child a wooden peg with their names on so they can put their peg on their feeling

Not sure if it's what you're after but that's what I've done

Jen

Guest heleng

Something we have done in Reception is we have taken photos of the children showing different emotions- planned I hasten to add!! - during a session when we talked about different feelings and situations that made us feel like a particular emotion.

thank you so much these are great ideas and they have given me lots to think about. are there any good sites for SEAL resources?

thank you so much these are great ideas and they have given me lots to think about. are there any good sites for SEAL resources?

Lots in the SEAL site HERE

I printed A4 size pics of different people with various facial expressions, I laminated each one and made it into a sturdy book using a book binder. It was available in our book area. I would often find children self selecting it, as individuals or in pairs, to look through. I will have a look to see if I've still got the pics and upload them. You could also google emotions images.

Your area sounds like a lovely idea, could you consider sharing pics of it when set up, in a post, or better still in the gallery, as I'm sure it will inspire others with lots of ideas. :o

Peggy

of course i will thank you for the websites. I am thinking of including the children's talking tins and talking photo album so that it is also including the children's voice and ideas.

Hi,

Thank you Peggy for the link, what a useful site. Have just printed off some dual language posters and a few other items.

We are having a major problem with one boy in my class who is using very explicit racist language and doesn't seem to accept that these words are not acceptable. I guess when you live in a house where it appears that this language is part of everyday life chnaging his thoughts is goign to take a lot of work. Any ideas for supporting him would be great.

We had also thought of making an emotions book/ display to help this so thanks for some great ideas and look forward to seeing any photos of displays when they are made.

Nicky Sussex :o

Hi in my reception class we are focusing on the emotional development of a target group of children. We are currently working with our preschool to provide opportunities for them to play alongside and with younger children aswell as targeting them in our own play environment. With the main reason is that they have never had the opportunity to play and need it to be modelled to them

From a course the other day outlining the SEAD document to us we now have our own puppet and am planning circle time sessions to model different situations (or issues that have arisen on the playgorund)to help show the puppet how to learn and behave in school. He will be working with all children esp target group so they can show him how to share, play with others.

We are planning to have our own seal area that children can go to for time out/if they have a problem in our own classroom on the advice from it is what we should be doing. I personally think it is a great idea to help children with any emotional problems. IF anyone has any pictures of a similar idea or area i would be very grateful.

I think it will benefit these type of children that come to school with many barriers to learning.

I am wondering if there are any other activities other people are doing that I could try and have similar children

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)