Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moderation

Can someone tell me; is it indicated how much evidence we need to have for moderation, and, although we were originally told that our LA was concentrating on Sounds and Letters linked to Writing, CD and our work with parents we are now told they will be looking at all areas.

Obviously, as our school focus this year is on Literacy, we have much more evidence on that than on some other areas eg KUW - and we are all panicking!

Any words of wisdom, please?

Our areas for moderation are physical and PSRN. We've been told moderators will choose 6 children to focus on 2 still working in stepping stones, 2 in ELG and 2 at point 9. They want to see learning journeys, evidence and will observe and chat to children in the classroom. No one indicated how much evidence needed other than sufficient to support assessment.

I've been doing some moderations this year for the LA and our focus is PSRN and PD. We ask to look at all evidence that the practitioners use to make Profile judgements such as, Learning Journeys and extended obs. We ask the practitioner to choose a child they consider to be mid range out of the cohort but we also look at all abilities.

If your system of managing the Profile is in place,(clear evidence of CI observations, tracking process, using the eyeProfile and if necessary tracking sheets) and you know that judgements are moderated between staff, you'll be fine. I know if we have any queries over the amount of evidence we just ask the practitioner to justify the judgements with oral examples and if we feel they know the children very well and judgements are accurate this is good enough for us.

Good luck i'm sure you'll be fine :)

Qx

Moderation is to ensure you are making accurate judgments based on the criteria in the handbook and what you know about the children, however that is recorded - or not recorded. It's not about how well your children are doing!

Cx

If no 9's then they see more ELG children. Will definitiely be more ELG's from me I don't think we'll be hitting 9's this year!!

In Lancashire we had to take 9 minimal samples of evidence - one for 3 scale points for NLC, SSM, and PD.

I just took along the relevant pages of children's scrapbooks - which were basically annotated photos with a few post it comments - and that was accepted.

Can someone tell me; is it indicated how much evidence we need to have for moderation, and, although we were originally told that our LA was concentrating on Sounds and Letters linked to Writing, CD and our work with parents we are now told they will be looking at all areas.

Obviously, as our school focus this year is on Literacy, we have much more evidence on that than on some other areas eg KUW - and we are all panicking!

Any words of wisdom, please?

I have my external moderation taking place on Tuesday 24.03.09

this year La is focusing on Speaking and listening Creative. three children's files below inline and above expectations - I have no child working in 1-3 and none working at 9 so they will all fall in the 4-8 category - about right for only two terms in

the moderator will be spending the moring observing practice, looking at the setting and then talking with me about my judgements - having had Ofsted, and our SIP both observings am feeling a little like a goldfish - but will let you know how it goes and perhaps what is expected

g

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)