Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Night And Day

Hi I'm Kat a new member and finding it a little difficult to work my way around the forum already posted this topic once under foundation stage profiles!! I'm an NQT and teach a reception class in Liverpool. Our present topic is night and day and I am quickly running out of ideas for activities! I've visited the site a number of times and think your ideas are fab! Big hello to everyone x :D

Hi there Kat, and welcome aboard!

I'm sure there's something along these lines somewhere in the forum.... maybe Light and Dark? Have you thought about people who work nights? Emergency services, power workers, postmen..... Just a quick one off the top of my head there, or sources of light - not very inspired today, sorry. Will try harder!

Sue :D

Thanks Sue for getting back to me so quickly! People who work at night hadn't even crossed my mind! Thats a great idea thanks so much. Will also look at the light and dark thanks loads! Back to planning then x :D

Hello and welcome from me too, Kat!

There is a lovely Pat Hutchins story - I think it's called Goodnight owl (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) about an owl trying to sleep in a tree during the day but being kept awake by all the noise of the other birds. Then at night time the tables are turned...

You could do a day/night display - create a scene in two halves - half would be very dark with silhouettes of buildings etc and bright dots of light (street lamps/windows/car headlights etc) plus moon and stars, half would be normal daytime scene with lots of colour and big yellow sun.

Hi there Kat... welcome to the forum and I hope you're enjoying your first term in Reception (bit different from being on TP eh?) xD

here are a few ideas: two large sheets of A3 card one yellow (daytime) one black/or dark blue- children to draw what they do in the day and what they do at night and stick them on to the appropriate card. (quick displey too)

Similar idea... paper plate and circle of card (just the size of the inner part of the plate. Draw a line down the circle of card and children draw what they do at night and what they do in the day on each half. Pop a split pin in the middle and atteach to plate; label the outer rim of each half of the plate with DAYTIME and NIGHTIME and then children can spin their wheel.

(hope that one is clearer than mud)

What about looking at non-fiction books/posters of nocturnal animals too?

We take ours on a sources of light walk around the school and they record using a simple tally chart, on the way back we lock ourselves in the art cupboard ... EXTREMELY DARK in there :o to see the difference with the absence of light

SOngs I can think of... twinkle twinkle, the sun has got his hat on, this little light of mine (great for Divali!!!), teddy bear teddy bear... (going upstairs to bed) etc.

Hope this all helps

Liza :)

Thanks to Fox and Liza I'm just doing my weekly plan now (bit late I know) and those ideas will deffo be added, they're fab! I really like the display idea - half day and half night and have got parents evening on wed (yet more stress!) so will make my classroom look good! Thanks again for all your help Kat x :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)