Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For Rec And Year 1. Help!

HI i'm new to the forum. Just had an OFSTED with a mixed YR/1 class. I am really struggling with organising the two so all children get what they need. I would like to extend the FS curriculum style of teaching in year 1 but not sure how to plan and organise this so each child get the elements of literacy and numeracy throughout the day. Any planning formats or ideas would be very useful.

Hi marshl and welcome aboard.

There are several others in the same boat as you who will I'm sure be pleased to help. Your ideas are I'm convinced the way to go and you will get there even if it takes some time and practise. Meanwhile have you found the other topics, there are some and although I dont have time to put the links in right now I'll look again later and have a go if no one else gets there before me!

Good luck! :D

hi i am new to this forum and have just applied for a job teaching mixed year1/reception. i would also like any help, timetabling, layout of classroom, typical day, things that work and don't work and what i should be doing!!

thank you

enimod

I can let you see what I do in my Reception/Year 1 class. It's not right, but we're working on it, well I'm working on it! There is an example of my planning already on the site somewhere, I'll find it later if you don't find it. As for my timetable, I'll attach it but it's in Publisher format, so dunno if people will be able to read it. I'll make a word version later if anyone wants it, just drop me a note.

timetable_autumn_term_PE_thurs.pub

Hi Marshl and enimod -

Welcome to the site! :)

As the others have said, there are a number of discussions, especially in this forum area, which include short and medium term planning examples and formats. (And they've just been joined by Nichola's above, I notice! :D )

Here are a couple you might like to visit, if you've not found them yet. If you need more specific help, I'm sure you'll get help if you detail it:

Weekly planning documents

Medium term planning discussion and documents

Welcome again! :)

Hello again everyone. I have looked at some of the planning ideas and they were very useful thank you. I still feel a bit confused about the organisation of reception and year 1. I have got 9 yr and 18yr 1. I find this very difficult because my y1 are quite able and need the structure of lit and num in the morning and my YR can't be imvolved in most of this I then find it hard to find time to spend with YR on focused activities. My class is very small and the Year 1 get distracted by play based activities going on in the mornings.

Also does any one use play planners or task boards with reception if so how do these work or do they work? I alot of problems I know but can any one help.

Hi Enimod you seem in the same position as me. Have you started your job yet. What is the mix of children do you have more reception or year 1's. I have just had an Ofsted with this mix of children and they seemed to say to try and use the foundation stage style of teaching more with year 1's for those who need it, although i am finding this quite hard. I am trying the approach where i plan CLL activities and Maths activities in the mornings with some adult focused work and independent play activities for reception. I then teach the year 1's and plan activities for them them. It takes a lot of planning and organising. In the afternoons we do topic work and i link areas of the FSP and NC where i can. I then plan group activities for R and Y1. I have started to use a play planner so in the afternoons the children choose an area e.g role play, outdoor from the the planner and put a smiley face next to it when the have been there so during the week they visit different areas. My Year1's also use this in the afternoon after finishing work or if i'm doing group activities. Is this the same sort of way as other people work or have you got any other ideas. Also a different topic but how and when do people fit in guided reading and handwriting sessions

Hello,

Your play planner sounds like a brilliant idea, Marshl!

I tend to timetable guided reading last session on a Monday and Thursday afternoon. My Year 1's have 15mins of handwriting practise on Tuesday morning, while the reception do some phonics work with my LSA, then vise versa on a Wednesday morning.

I tend to do most of my numeracy/MD and Literacy/CLL work in the morning and then KUW,CD,PD,in the afternoon, just like you.

I don't think there is any right way with this year group mix. I think we just have to do the best we can! However, it is incredibly reassuring to know that there are others out there in the same position.

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)