Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Small Classroom Organisation

Wondering how rec/yr1 teachers organise their classrooms to access both curriculums. I have a small size classroom with 17 children 11 of which are Reception. Advisor wants to see learning bays but also area for yr1 to be kept on task without playbased activities. Any ideas would be gratefully recieved as I feel as though I am going around in circles.

Advisor wants to see learning bays but also area for yr1 to be kept on task without playbased activities.

Sounds like quite a challenge in a mixed age class? I have visions of the year one children on extendable dog leads to prevent them straying over to the 'forbidden' areas.... :o

I'm in pre-school so apart from making flippant comments I can't really help much. However I'm sure the wiser heads will be along soon to offer advice!

Maz

Advisor wants to see learning bays but also area for yr1 to be kept on task without playbased activities.

Sorry, I am not trying to be rude but WHY??? :o

In Wales Year 1 children learn through play-based activities...I've spent the last six months trying to incorporate play-based activities in Year 1

I have visions of the year one children on extendable dog leads to prevent them straying over to the 'forbidden' areas.

Me too xD:(:(:( :wacko: xD

I'm in pre-school so apart from making flippant comments I can't really help much

I'm in a school so apart from making flippant comments I can't really help much!!

That is a tricky one. I do echo what everyone has said about year 1 should be learning in a similar way to year R but that doesn't really help your situation. All I can suggest is that you set aside a table that as far as the advisor is concerned is your play free table for year 1 - of course in practice it can be used for a range of purposes. Then based on your space consider priority areas. Also what is the outside area like? Sorry I can't be any more help but I come from a largish reception base.

Hi Blackcat,

I think this is a problem we can all get our teeth into :o Can you give us a bit more information about the size and current layout/equipment you have to work with? That way, we can all start to think about possible changes/additions. Also, do you have regular access to the outside space?

I have 10 of each, YR, Y1, Y2 the area in front of the interactive whiteboard is just big enough to squeeze everyone in for a carpet session if the need arises (but not for much longer than 5 mins!).

Just behind that I have 3 small tables which, at a push, can seat 6 children each. This area is about 20 ft square, and is edged by bookcases/storage counters which create a quiet screen if I need to work with a Y2 or Y1 group. If Y2 are doing a more formal activity / group work with me, I try to plan for Y1 to access their objective through a challenge in one of the areas. Fortunately, because of the number of children, a little boy with sen support, and mix of ages that I have, I do quite well for TA support, certainly in the mornings.

The areas for CP are then arranged in an "L" shape around the outside of this - which works well, and forms a natural path in and out of the outdoor area. The creative area has an extra table that Y1/2 can work at if we are doing an activity where they need a workspace. The noisier stuff is outside in a covered area. It's not easy - sometimes there is nowhere else to go for a guided read other than outside the toilets in the cloakroom, and if I have plenty of support in class, I sometimes have to take Y2 out to the library, especially if there is a popular activity on the interactive whiteboard that the younger children are playing with. Speakers on the computers are a must - and we have to make up for a lack of indoor music making with lots of outdoor opportunity to this, and loads of singing.

That said - it definitely has its benefits; eg. teaching Y2 calculation this week and what a joy to be able to do it in the shop. Our next science topic is forces (loads of scope for accessing this through the areas). Speaking and listening opportunities for "literacy" for the older ones are great with all the play that they can access too.

It also gives those YR children who actually prefer to pretend to be all grown up and do "proper junior work" as they call it in my class, a chance to opt in to this style of learning (and I do have a group of 3 children who do prefer it, which came as a real surprise to me).

You do feel as if everyone is being short changed sometimes, but as for so many other people - it's a case of just doing my best with what I've got. :o

Oh, and by the way, I was advised by advisers/consultants alike that they would prefer to see Y1 accessing their learning through play if possible.

Hope that helps a bit,

Tracy

I think what I would do is try and find the quiest area in the classroom that where you can position a table for the year 1 children, use room dividers, tricky words hanging from the ceiling etc. (Trying to have this area at the furthest point from the construction etc... I would make this an area where the year 1 children have things that they need for table top working at the designated times that they need to sit and 'do work'.

This caould then be used as a writing area during the time the year 1 children are learning through play or practical activities.

I did this a couple of years agao when i had year 1s and although they only used the space for short periods of recorded work they lovede having their own space. The younger children loved to go and use that table if the year 1s weren't there.

Bays I have in my room area- Maths area( draw unit with maths equip in) Top is either the science/interest table or has a maths activity on the top. A construction area. Clipboards, pencils, and all the usual construction, rotated between two classes (we tried it all in one room but it was manic and didn't work for us- due to space available) Role play area. Book corner and listening are- with a range of seating that also doubles up as a quiet area. An art are, with sand etc.

The difficulty we had when we first did this was furniture. Fortunately my head agreed and has replaced all the furniture excluding tabls and chairs in the school. We are just waiting for the end of it to arrive.

It is hard having a mixed class and i don't think I have explained myself that well.

I think what I would do is try and find the quiest area in the classroom that where you can position a table for the year 1 children, use room dividers, tricky words hanging from the ceiling etc. (Trying to have this area at the furthest point from the construction etc... I would make this an area where the year 1 children have things that they need for table top working at the designated times that they need to sit and 'do work'.

This caould then be used as a writing area during the time the year 1 children are learning through play or practical activities.

I did this a couple of years agao when i had year 1s and although they only used the space for short periods of recorded work they lovede having their own space. The younger children loved to go and use that table if the year 1s weren't there.

Bays I have in my room area- Maths area( draw unit with maths equip in) Top is either the science/interest table or has a maths activity on the top. A construction area. Clipboards, pencils, and all the usual construction, rotated between two classes (we tried it all in one room but it was manic and didn't work for us- due to space available) Role play area. Book corner and listening are- with a range of seating that also doubles up as a quiet area. An art are, with sand etc.

The difficulty we had when we first did this was furniture. Fortunately my head agreed and has replaced all the furniture excluding tabls and chairs in the school. We are just waiting for the end of it to arrive.

It is hard having a mixed class and i don't think I have explained myself that well.

Thank you, your explaination is useful and helping me get a grasp of this.

Your plan is clear but I can understand your problem with keeping doorways clear and space in front of heater it must make it a bit of a challenge. All I can suggest is having one end of the room with the noisier areas, and then other end quieter and obviously that would include the year 1 table. Sorry I can't be anymore help. Someone else might be more inspirational!

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Blackcat

I have the same problem 16R and 5yr1 a TA full time which is brilliant.I also have class2 off my classroom and they have to walk through my room to the hall for assemblies and pe and ICT room!! drives me nuts.

I have a table for yr1to work at and although the class can work quietly they are easily distracted so think outside the box ie classroom and look at your time table.

This half term I have found a 30 min slot at least once a day where the yr1 can work with me or TA in the room or ICT room on their own without reception .For example reception circle time in classroom yr1 in ICT room .

when Reception go out for welly afternoon the year1 work with me for 30 mins before joining them....

The year1 actually asked me for this quiet time which was a bit of a surprise and so I am keen to try and accomadate them.

Tinkerbell x

Although I love my class I do sometimes get cheesed off with the EYFS and Year1 curriculum and the problems it causes.

Hi Blackcat

I have the same problem 16R and 5yr1 a TA full time which is brilliant.I also have class2 off my classroom and they have to walk through my room to the hall for assemblies and pe and ICT room!! drives me nuts.

I have a table for yr1to work at and although the class can work quietly they are easily distracted so think outside the box ie classroom and look at your time table.

This half term I have found a 30 min slot at least once a day where the yr1 can work with me or TA in the room or ICT room on their own without reception .For example reception circle time in classroom yr1 in ICT room .

when Reception go out for welly afternoon the year1 work with me for 30 mins before joining them....

The year1 actually asked me for this quiet time which was a bit of a surprise and so I am keen to try and accomadate them.

Tinkerbell x

Although I love my class I do sometimes get cheesed off with the EYFS and Year1 curriculum and the problems it causes.

I too have a class walking through classroom for the toilets. I only have TA 9 hrs a week so I am not that flexiable. I don't have anywhere to take them as it is a small rural school with very limited space. I also have 3 yr 2's in the afternoon which adds to my problems . Thanx for advise and sharing Blackcat x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)