Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Often Do You Do Pe In Your Reception Class?

We are currently reorganising the reception day and I wondered how often other people do formal PE, it has been suggested we do it 3 time a week, but I think thats a lot of formal teaching?

There has been a discussion lately on the forum about reception PE- do a search and have a look.

As for me I have 2 timetabled slots a week- usually use both. But sometimes only one.

We have 3 slots - 1 Write Dance 1-circle,parachute games 1- large apparatus. Sometimes we miss the parachute session.

We are currently reorganising the reception day and I wondered how often other people do formal PE, it has been suggested we do it 3 time a week, but I think thats a lot of formal teaching?

We have one formal 1 hour session per week in the hall

term 1&2 dance

term 3&4 Gymnastics

Term 5&6 ball skills could be outdoor on field or hard playground weather permitting.

the children also have open access to a well resourced OLE that has room for bkies, balance beams and boxes, footall hoops etc...

g

We have 3 x 1 hour slots a week! We normally do 1 or 2 'formal' PE sessions and use our other hall time for different activities related to physical development.

Each week ........

We have 3 sessions of 20mins each, either in the hall or outside of 'Exercise Time'.

Then 1 'gross motor skills' linked to 'Penpals Handrwriting' for 20mins.

Also have 1 session that is 'Maths Physical' for 20mins. - This is usually a game / parachute etc linked to Maths but with some sort of movement. For example - Musical shapes etc (dancing to some music and then move to a shape when describing it's properties.

Guest heleng

We have two hall slots, one for 30 mins and one for 40 mins. We do PE in one of them and I call the other Physical Phonics where we play games linked to phonics.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest heleng
Hi there could you give some examples of the games linked to phonics pls sounds interesting.

Hi, we do things like I shout a sound and they have to move in a way linked to that sound i.e I say j and they jump or jog or jiggle or the fav at the mo is w when they walk, wiggle or waddle- they decide on the movements not me!

We stand in a circle and each child is given a letter card, when I shout their sound they run into the circle and swap places with someone. We now do this with words, I say a word and all the children with sound cards in that word run and swap places i.e I say cat and children with c, a and t run in.

I put items round the room and give out letter cards, they move around and when I shout go they have to get into groups and build the words using their sounds.

Noisy phonemes- they have sound or pic cards and have to move around making their sound and find other children making their sound.

Umm, can't think of any others at the mo but hope that gives you the gist of it :o

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh too much wine I think. Just scrolling through the topic headers and read this as 'How often do you pee!!!! in your reception class?:o

I would say not often, especially if TA is out. And as for the children, some pee mostly at tidy up time or phonics time!!! xD

2 timetabled slots in the hall a week- supposedly for 1 hour but we're often having too much fun we are often in there much longer! In the summer we go outside on the field/large playground. We often do a third slot in the summer too.

Wow, it's interesting to hear this, because our head is very against us doing pe at all in Reception. Says it's not EYFS to have a pe session in the hall. Have tried to convince her that as my boys are wanting to climb the trees outside that perhaps we should teach them to climb safely using the equipment in the hall! Also had a parent raise concerns that her daughter wasn't doing pe, although did discuss with her the other PD work that her daughter does through the static equipment, bikes, skipping ropes, balls etc in our outdoor area, and she was happy... I still feel we should be doing some pe though! (We do use the field in the summer, but it doesn't quite feel like enough.)

Hi little miss naughty,

I do wonder why we have timetabled 'outside games' when they have access to balls, ropes and bean bags all year round as an outside continious provision. Gym and dance to me are different, but then maybe i'm teaching outdoor games wrong??

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have 2 x 45 min slots for formally taught PE. One of these is in my PPA time. The children also have 1 X 45 mins of swimming because we are lucky enough to have a pool and swimming teacher. We also get out the bikes and scooters etc onto the playground for a good hour of free play one afternoon each week. Our PE policy states that all children in our school do at least 2 hours PE, but it feels like it takes us another 2 hour to get changed!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)