Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fine Motor Skills

Has anyone got any new and exciting activities to develop children's fine motor skills? I already have peeling oranges, using tweezers to pick up jelly beans, sorting lentils and beans, scrunching lycra and newspaper . . . . :oxD:(

I used a game with pegs and a pot noodle tub putting the pegs around the edge and taking them off agin using a dice

Has anyone got any new and exciting activities to develop children's fine motor skills?

Don't know about new and exciting - our children really enjoyed the spider making game during key group time a couple of weeks ago. Cheap coasters (from Ikea) with large googly eyes added in the middle somewhere, and eight pegs to attach for legs.

We used a sand timer and the idea was for the children to attach the pegs to the coaster to make a spider by the time the sand had gone through. Very good for seeing instantly whose fine motor skills and strength need to be developed, and the children loved the competitive element provided by the timer!

I'm sure someone uploaded a list of activities to develop fine motor skills recently (but might have imagined it!) - try a forum search.

Maz

I used a game with pegs and a pot noodle tub putting the pegs around the edge and taking them off agin using a dice

We posted at the same time, killowengirl - I like your idea too. Perhaps for our older children I could develop the game by adding the dice idea - I have some blank dice which I use to make my own games so I could easily add a + or - alongside the numbers from 1-6!

Thank you for this - don't you love the Forum!?

Maz

me to happy maz love the spider idea and you are right there was a fabulous post on fine motor skills not sure if it was someone like mrs weasly but will see if I can find it

killowengirl

Activities to develop fine motor skills

All these activities are general and can be used to develop fine motor skills for most children in your class.

1. Take a line for a walk – see how long the pencil can stay on the paper.

2. Sorting – small objects such as paper clips, screws, bolts, buttons, etc.

3. Clipping things together – using pegs, paper clips, etc.

4. Dressing up activities – involving the use of clothing fasteners such as buttons, zippers and laces.

5. Post-a-shape – matching shapes to the correct opening.

6. Bead threading – copy the pattern.

7. Tracking and maze activities

8. Cutting and pasting – patterns, pictures, classification activities, project scrapbooks.

9. Tracing – lines, shapes and simple pictures.

10. Copy writing patterns 1 – using coloured sand.

11. Copy writing patterns 2 – using chalk.

12. Colouring patterns and pictures – using different media.

13. Dot-to-dot pictures – using numbers and the alphabet.

14. Line-links – following the line from one end to the other (e.g. mouse to the cheese).

15. Modelling – with clay, Plasticine etc.

16. Painting and printing – using different sized brushes and different types of printing materials.

17. Jigsaw puzzles – starting with simple peg puzzles with pictures and shapes that need to be slotted into the correct space, then introducing traditional puzzles of varying degrees of difficulty.

18. Peg boards – these can be used to make simple or more ocmplex patterns.

19. Building blocks – start with larger wooden ones if possible and then introduce smaller ones.

20. Constructional apparatus –of varying degrees of difficulty (e.g. Duplo, Lego).

21. Jacks or marbles – children learn to control fine motor movements with these games.

22. Computer-aided picture and design activities

23. Sewing activities

24. Finger puppets

25. Construction activities – involving the use of plastic nuts, bolts and screws.

26. Musical instruments – playing as wide a range as available.

Here are some of mine to add to your collection

Great list - have you put this into the resources library so that we'll know where to find it next time, Marion? :o

Maz

Something that's working really well for us as the moment with the younger children is thoroughly clean & washed out trigger sprays on bottles like the Dettox variety. We put these in our outside area with a bucket of water. They spend absolutely hours squirting the fence, the walls, the floor and developing their hand muscles in readiness for later pencil skills. (It also ticks the 'markmaking' boxes several times over!).

Can I just say I'm using Yoropen (pencils) with my class and have seen a huge difference in their control since I introduced them. I'm extending it into Y1 and some SEN children in Y3 to see if it helps.wp10357377_1b.jpg

Thank you all so much for those ideas. I have now completed my planning to develop fine motor skills for next half term and still have plenty of ideas left to continue beyond this!

Thanks again! :oxD:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)