Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gtp In 2009

Congrats on getting a place first of all!!!

I can't help bc im doing PGCE (and loving every minute I must add!) but hopefully someone will be along soon.

I don't think I've welcomed you though so......hello!

lucie xx

Hello chocisgood, good choice of name!

The GTP will vary a great deal depending on who your DRB is, and we have a few members who have completed it who can help you out. I mentored this programme in m school for a few years and it changed almost every year!

Much will depend on whether or not you are supernumery, or have your own class, the requirements to attend training etc, required assignments and reading; how new you are to the school, etc etc.

I would recommend you get the skills tests under your belt as son as you can though

Hi chocisgood,

Love the name and sooooo right!!!! :o

I'm afraid I can't help you in terms of being a GTP student but I did mentor a GTP student in a mixed YR/Y1 class a couple of years ago - would this be of any help?

One of the major things I would recommend from a Mentor and students' point of view, is to keep your standards file up to date - it saves a lot of work just before the visit by the person (sorry can't rem. what their title was) from the Uni or organisation running the programme. If being observed during the visit, keeping the file up to date it allows you to focus on prepping for the observation and also allows your Mentor to have time to go through and suggest areas to improve before the visit. Also take the Maths, English, Science tests early - if one of them is an area you know you need to work on I would suggest doing that one first - if you fail one, then at least you know where you need to improve for the retake.

My GTP and I were of a similar age, had similar interests so got on really well and are still good friends both professionally and personally. I felt very proud when she was told she had passed! It was a two way learning process - she was able to pass on ideas and different ways of doing things to me as well as me passing tips and ideas to her. We still often ask each other for advice and ideas five years on!

Good luck and enjoy it! If you would like any more info or tips feel free to get in touch.

Wow thanks for the quick responses everyone!

I am getting a feel for this now. Kittyknits, thanks for the pointers. My mentor is not based in the foundation stage so we will be learning from each other i feel. I am meeting my school tomorrow and just wanted to be aware of issues so feel more prepared so thanks everyone!

I am unsure what my route will be when I graduate in June, obviously I will be looking for GTP or PGCE 2010 or 2011 but am also interested in what the GTP entails ........mind if I share the thread? :o

Can anyone help?

I am a headteacher with a nursery officer who has degree and EYPS and is looking for QTS. In the northeast of england it is impossible to enter the GTP and stay in an early years setting. Does anyone know how a nursery school can apply/fit the criteria to be a graduate school? We are currently researching any other ways to gain QTS whilst she retains her full time post with me.

Any ideas. we would be grateful.

Hello Sue, welcome to the forum, interesting question.

Obviously there are regional variations as you have indicated but whatever pathway you eventually come across, she will have to gain experience in another age group. It is a requirement of QTS that you get experience in two phases.

I am wondering though if she has EYPS and wishes to remain in your nursery, why does she need QTS?

I am unsure what my route will be when I graduate in June, obviously I will be looking for GTP or PGCE 2010 or 2011 but am also interested in what the GTP entails ........mind if I share the thread? :o

Of course you are welcome! Lucie is completing the PGCE so maybe could answer any questions on that for you? i know I got my place as the school were willing to do this with me, so you may need to approach your local schools as applications need to be in from schools by Dec ...

Hello Sue, welcome to the forum, interesting question.

Obviously there are regional variations as you have indicated but whatever pathway you eventually come across, she will have to gain experience in another age group. It is a requirement of QTS that you get experience in two phases.

I am wondering though if she has EYPS and wishes to remain in your nursery, why does she need QTS?

I currently need to recruit a teacher to support across the site( we are also a children's centre) and she has the experience of 0-5's. Her Early Years focus is what we need and she can't be the full time input unless she gains QTS. Looks like her hand are tied.

Thanks anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Thought I mite join in the thread for a little advice.

I am a early years practitioner working in a chidlren centre in north east england also looking for a way into teaching. I am due to finsih my degree in 5 weeks and feel very unsettled and dishartened with my future carrer opportuniites.

I really would love to stay in the early years sector and do hope to gain EYPS through the validation route come september - but would like to beome an ealry years teacher - I cant seem to find a sutibale route (which is affordable) - I am so passionate about early years and would realy like to stay at my work place, is this possible

My head has said she would support me in anyway does anyone have any ideas how I could gain QTS and stay in my early years setting. Thanks :o

Chocisgood I hope you enjoy your GTP as much as I did, the one piece of advice I would give is to do your QTS tests (ICT, Literacy and maths) ASAP they are not as scary as I thought and in the Autumn term when your work load will be slightly less as in you should begin by doing lots of observations of teaching and not actually teaching full lessons , it will cross one thing off early. Also everyone leaves it until the last minute and rthat can't always get convenient times. I know one colleague whonhad to do all 3 in one day and you have to leave an hour between them so she spent an entire day very stressed!

I am now in my 2nd year of teaching and it is as great as I thought and hoped it would be and the GTP gave me an excellent grounding for my NQT year and subsequent teaching.

However I was a Nursery Nurse in an Early Years Class for 9years and was well aware of the expectations in the classroom and the level of work of work for the GTP unlike alot of the other students who struggled. I would advise you to put your duster at the back of the cupboard though you won't need it!!!

Oh one other thing I read in the Telegraph today (so it must be true!) that chocolate increases your brain power so if your user name is anything to go by just keep your stocks up and you will be great!

S

I'm an EBT (educational based trainer) having a GTP in Sept.

We interviewed candidates from Canterbury (CCCU, who are providing the funding) and chose a lady with experience of being a TA in a Foundation Stage class.

Last week I went to their EBT conference, learnt a lot and am now looking forward to going to meet other local EBT's at this years moderation of trainees ITP's (training programme).

I know its going to be hard work for both myself and the trainee but I'm sure it will be a good experience.

Ask away any questions and I'll ask the experts at our meeting on 28th April.

Hi Sharon and Riverview,

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Will def look into those QTS tests as soon as poss. Duster is already in cupboard as finding time to study already at a premium, luckily my babies are 20 and 22 so have time for myself which i feel will be an adavntage in Sept!

Riverview, as I will be with CCCU you may have met my EBT? She is new to the game, and so we will value having an experienced EBT to direct queries to!

OH and if 2009 was not exciting enough my daughter just got engaged, xD so i keep straying into wedding websites !!!

Its in October this year, if it was later I think it would have been just too much to fit in. :o

Wish it was Easter already- need the choccie

Congratulations to your daughter.

I too am new to being an EBT but was lucky enough to meet our local area coordinator at the conference and was invited along with another new lady to this years moderation session for Dartford and Gravesend, 28th April.

Perhaps your EBT could contact CCCU and find out when your local area are holding their moderation and ask if she can go along.... it will really help with implimenting the GT's training plan, which I am told is their "bible" for the year.

Good luck and congratulations on getting a place, they are very scarce and sought after.

Thanks Riverview for the congrats and the info, have passed on the idea to my EBT. Feeling more encouraged and excited about the whole thing. Daughter has set a date and almost finalised venue so that can now go on the back burner whilst we both concentrate on graduating!

Happy Easter to one and all ! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)