Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

0-3 Assessment Systems

Hi experts out there, would be interested to see what your cc's are using for 0-3 assessments systems. Have seen a few advertised e.g. growing skills and wondered what they are like and if anyone has a really useful and informative system they are using. Thanks for any help

Hi Mozart, do you have learning journeys/diaries or anything else already in place?

Also does your LA do anything? Some LAs have folders that they expect settings to use, so Id be rather careful about buying in anything until you know if anything is happening locally.

Im sure others will be along sooon to share what they do

Guest Wolfie

Hi Mozart! After MUCH deliberation, I have decided to use the Development Matters statements as the basis of our assessment system.

It seems essential to me to be tracking children' development against as set of milestones - after all, that's what summative assessment is and the EYFS states this as being essential, on a regular basis. I know that the EYFS framework also emphasises that the DM statements should not be used for ticklist purposes - but I consider that if we have a comprehensive and effective system of observations and gathering evidence of children's development and learning in place, and these are used to inform our assessments, then the statements are NOT being used as a simple ticklist but are the statements used for our summative assessments.

Why search for an alternative set of assessment statements when there are some inherent in the framework within which we are all working?

Hi Mozart! After MUCH deliberation, I have decided to use the Development Matters statements as the basis of our assessment system.

It seems essential to me to be tracking children' development against as set of milestones - after all, that's what summative assessment is and the EYFS states this as being essential, on a regular basis. I know that the EYFS framework also emphasises that the DM statements should not be used for ticklist purposes - but I consider that if we have a comprehensive and effective system of observations and gathering evidence of children's development and learning in place, and these are used to inform our assessments, then the statements are NOT being used as a simple ticklist but are the statements used for our summative assessments.

Why search for an alternative set of assessment statements when there are some inherent in the framework within which we are all working?

Well said Wolfie my thoughts exactly!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)