Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Biting Policy

Hi

Does anyone have a biting policy in there setting, one chld is doing to all, mainly staff and its very painful. This is unappectable behaviour, but no support from parents, so if anyone has a policy it would be very helpful.

Thanks

That seems to be a well put together policy Al. Ice, have you managed to isolate when the child is biting, and a strategy for dealing with the behaviour?

It may be useful to spend some more time with the parents and try to develop a closer relationship with them - if they realise you're finding it a significant problem they may take it more seriously?

Hi Steve

The child bites when they have been told off, they are fully aware of what they are doing the child is a couple of months off turning 4.

He gets told off because he has normally pushed someone or hit, as he is fully aware of his actions.

As soon as he does not have control he lashes out, whether that is playing a simple game with children or if another child has not done something we have asked, he feels it is his job to tell them off, either if its something really simple like, can you please pass me those scissors!!

He had a behaviour assessment done privately, so not in a setting but they just said he is intelligent. So thats not much help!!!!

Thanks

Ice

Don't know if this is any help at all but I have lots of experience of working with children who display challenging behaviour. What I found really useful was support from the behavioural nurse team who helped to work out strategies for avoiding being hurt including avoiding situations that trigger the behaviour but also appropriate 'breakaway' techniques for when the behaviour does occur - eg. with biting, pushing into the bite not pulling away prevents the bite from hurting (obviously if this is an adult being bitten, not a child). You would need to have this in writing though and on the advice of a professional. I found when I used this that biting would become an unpleasant experience for the biter and the incidents would decrease. I'm sure your doing this already but providing a biting child with an appropriate toy to bite when frustrated seems to help some children too.

Hope you can help the child and your staff soon :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)