Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff

can someone please explain the meaning of staff deployment using Ofsted terms.

Put simply Toro, all it means is where each member of staff works, at each session. This could be at the qualification level: so the unqualified does the washing up whilst the qualified members supervise the children, or that the student is always supervised by a qualified member of staff, and so on.

Or it could be at the level of the area of the setting: so there may be someone in the creative area, someone in the construction area, someone at the writing table and someone else supervising/floating.

So if Mrs Ofsted came to visit and there were two Level 3 qualified staff with two unqualified staff and she saw that one Level 3 was washing up and the other was in the toilet dealing with a child who had had an accident, she'd probably be a little bit unhappy...

All of this would be on your daily plan, and would be decided according to your policies/procedures - for instance your staff rota might show which members of staff can take children to the toilet and which can't because they don't have a CRB.

Does that make sense?

Maz

We have a staff rota for library, snacks & washing up, focus activity, storytime and floating duties. Toilet duties are normally done by floating staff but others will attend to children also. We have 3 level 3's (including manager), 3 level 2's all working towards level 3, one level 1 and 3 unqualified but 1 doing level 2 and 1 waiting to start level 2. We all share duties regardless of qualification. One of the unqualified staff has said as she does the same work as everyone else she felt she should be paid the same (and to be honest there is only pennies in it!!) so she was offered the choice of doing only the cleaning up, washing and toilet duties instead which she hastily declined. :o

Karrie

mmmmm...toilet duties and washing up for me then :oxD ...sounds grrrrrrreat!!!! :( :( :(

Well in most groups this wouldn't be a problem marley - but in my group we have a real shortage of Level 3 practitioners so I have to think about these things. xD We're not very hierarchical in our group usually - we all wash up, make tea and deal with toileting accidents as a rule. The only thing I don't do is load and unload our play house outside because my back hurts too much. My girls look after me well! :wacko:

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)