Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Peal Training

I am going on the PEAL (Parents, Early Years and Learning) training next week and wondered if anybody else had done this and what they thought?

Linda

Hi there - I have done it and I am now a trainer for it. It's excellent for supporting practitioners who are working with parents - looks at good practice and ideas for involving them in all types of settings. Very good for practitioners who may not have good attitudes towards parents. Materials are super. I highly recommend it.

The website is great too with some resources to download free.

here

Hi Linda! I have done it and I'm afraid I wasn't very impressed at all - I came away thinking that it had been a day wasted and that I hadn't learnt anything new. However, I think maybe that this was due to the attitude of the individual trainer - most of the group gave very negative feedback about his approach and attitude to the feelings and experiences of the group being trained.

Sorry to be so negative - I'm usually a very positive person - and I hope that you have a much better day! :o Let us know how you get on!

I too have done it and although I didn't really learn anything new on it I was impressed with the resources I was given especially in terms of using them with less experienced staff back at the setting. I did also really enjoy the day and had a very good experience with my trainer. It was the first training course I had gone on outside of LA training and it was so nice to be treated as a grown up for a change! No being read to for one thing.

Hope you enjoy your experience of it!

Hi Wolfie - sorry to hear you didn't rate the training - it may well have been the trainer but also for practitioners who do have good parental involvement and a positive approach to parents it may seem "old hat". I agree with holly that for staff who have little or no experience and who find it difficult to relate or value parental involvement it's excellent stuff.

Hi Wolfie

Don't worry-you haven't put me off!

I just thought it might be useful as the whole parental involvement thing is a biggy at the moment. I may just come away with a couple of new ideas-I don't think perhaps I will learn loads of new stuff but at least when OFSTED do arrive I can say I have been on the training.

Linda

Hi Wolfie

Don't worry-you haven't put me off!

I just thought it might be useful as the whole parental involvement thing is a biggy at the moment. I may just come away with a couple of new ideas-I don't think perhaps I will learn loads of new stuff but at least when OFSTED do arrive I can say I have been on the training.

Linda

Also..a day away from setting - hopefully with a nice lunch is often all it needs to 'recharge and remotivate' - it reminds you what you doing is right - or if you need to change ot tweak things.

xxx

Well something positive then! Even if it is only the food!!

A day away from the setting and a chat with others will be good. I am quite looking forward to it-and if I learn something new then all the better!

Linda

I'm going on this tomorrow and I've been, over the last week, looking at the precourse materials. OMG! I am so grumpy now - I've got 2 days of listening to speeches about things we're either already doing or have identified and marked on our development plan. Surely the course is for people who don't already do it rather than those of us that do??

Grumble grumble grumble (Cross face)

pw

Ok, been on course today. Good materials to use - can see how it would be useful to use them to explain principles to less experienced practitioners... mostly reinforced the view that our setting is going along the right lines ... nowhere near finished but most of the ideas from the course are already on our development plan!

considerably less grumpy today than i was yesterday!! (cheery face)

pw

I went on the training today and I really enjoyed it. The trainers were very good and the other people on the course were lovely. I came away with some really good ideas and also the reassurance that we are already involved in some really good practice.

The venue was very good, the Novotel in Manchester. In fact I would go as far as to say it's probably one of the best training days I've been on as far as food was concerned-roast beef with all the trimmings, with lots of other choices!

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)