Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Senses Linked With Christmas

Hi Guys;

Our topic this half term leading up until Christmas is Ourselves/the senses. I have lots of activities lined up to link in with this topic, but as we are following this topic until christmas i wanted to try and link Christmassy activities in, with the topic. We are making snowglobes when we reach the week we are learning about sight, but i just wondered if any of you wonderful people had any other Christmas activities that could also be loosely connected with 'The senses'

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tiny

taste--food--traditional christmas foods ie mince pies

touch--prickly holly, soft fur fabric/ feely bags with gifts in

sight--identifying parcel contents from silhouettes

smell--christmas food/ fir tree?

hear--sounds of unwrapping presents, bells & singing songs

Thanks for some great suggestions Susan, Hali, and Lorna. :D:D

Anyone else have any suggestions?????????????

This site is soooooo helpful. I love it

How about making a Christmas cake. All those ingredients to touch, see, smell (possibly taste some!) in their raw state and then seeing the difference when mixed and again when cooked! Have fun :D

You could extend to another day by icing and decorating, oh and marzipan! another texture, taste and smell

Last Christmas we did a nice activity involving Christmas smells. We had containers and the children had to guess what the smell was.

Our smells included cooked sprouts, pine cones, mince pies and spices.

We had one smell that was not associated with Christmas and the children had to say which one it was and why.

As well as being a great activity for the senses theme it encourages lots of discussion.

• 1 year later...

You could make sensory bears - colour picture of bear (sight), sprinkle spice onto picture (smell), stick some noisy material to bear or attach a bell on a ribbon round it's neck (hearing + touch) and then make a hole in the bears hand and put a candy stick through the hole (taste)! Or something similar :D

I bought some nice Xmas oils from the body shop the children enjoy identifying them.

We make Xmas puddings very similar to the bear idea but use a pudding shape and use mixed spice, nutmeg and cinnamon currants etc to decorate.

Bake mini xmas cakes in washed out bean or spaghetti tins

stained glass window collages ( found a very simple way is to provide each child with coloured celophane and a laminating pouch place the celophane inside the laminating pouch close and put thro the laminator :):)

On Thursday we are going to the forest to collect 2 Xmas trees and will have a sensory walk with the ranger...........hope it stops snowing :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)