Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

P.e In Reception

Does anyone have any good books/ know any good websites with ideas for teaching P.E in reception. I've been doing loads of P.E this year but don't have any books (except the TOPS sheets) and am finding it hard to keep coming up with interesting ideas! (especially for gym/dance sessions) Would appreciate any suggestions! :D

Guest sarah

Hi Becky, I am also in Reception (not until September, I am an NQT and am very excited). I have been into my new school for regular visits and during one observed a PE session. Like you I have the topps sheets which are actually really good but the teacher I observed was doing a movement session in which she used a gift bag which was full of silk and cotton scarves (raid charity shops and parents - they are the long neck scarves) she calls it floaty scarf PE and basically they listen to music and first of all move their bodies to reflect how it sounds with the incentive of getting a floaty scarf - then they are all given one first to stand on the spot with and then to move about with depending on their reactions. It really was a lovely session to watch and the children absolutely love it. :D

Anyway just wanted to say that I have used this site lots and I think it is absolutely fab, I have told many of my friends and colleagues about it - keep up the good work and thank you very much!

Sarah (very excited but nervous NQT - Not Quite a Teacher!)

Hi Sarah -

Welcome to the forum again. Many thanks for your first post - I know you've been a member for a little while now, but it's great to hear a bit more about you!

And bless your heart for your comments about the site. :D It's good to know there's a point to the community, so to speak :o

Look forward to getting to know you as you settle into your first reception post!

Regards, Steve.

Hi Becky

I'm very keen on dance with little people, I started my own dance sessions for pre schoolchildren last year onSaturdays. It was great fun!

One book that I found rea;lly helpful was 'Children Dancing' by Rosamund Shreeves. Full of greati deas. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Kate :o

Have you seen the Sticky Kids tapes? These are exercises to songs, some familiar and some new. The children at our pre-school love them-I think there are three or four. You can find them if you log onto the under fives website. Each sid eof the tapes lasts about twenty minutes. We use ours on a regular basis and often, if we let the children choose what they want to do during our "P.E." sessions they choose Sticky Kids :D

Linda

Thanks for your replies. Have ordered the 'children dancing' book and some sticky kids music and movement stuff. It looks good! and thanks for your suggestion with the scarves Sarah, will have to give it a go! :)

Hi,

We use 'Action Kids' - by Val Sabin -loads of ideas for dance, gym, games, warm ups, using space etc. It is specifically for children aged 3 - 5 years old. It comes as a ring bound book with CD of music clips and songs. There is another book / CD for 2 - 3 year olds. The training sessions are excellent and link the 6 areas of learning. There are more sessions of training coming up in Northants.

(Rest of school and much of Northants. use Val Sabin's handbooks for all areas of PE) Sorry haven't any contact details as all is at school, but I'm sure a search would come up with details.

Bernice

Hi Bernice -

Good to hear from you - how's things.

The Val Sabin resource sounds excellent. We hadn't come across it before. I found a link to how to order it here, although it doesn't look like you can order it online. Thanks for the resource information.

By the way - a few people have been talking about Foundation Stage Units. I know you were thinking about this a few weeks ago. If I set up a FSU forum would that be useful?

Regards, Steve.

Hi, Im Lisa,

This is my first time using the site and I think it is great. P.E is not my strongest point and I am always looking for ways to improve what are I feel are my dull uninspired lessons. 'Action for Kids' sounds fabulas, as does the stickykids tapes. I shall be looking into both of these.

Thankyou.

Hi Lisa -

Welcome into the forum, and thanks for your comments! :D

One of the best things about the community is that you can come in knowing you have a weak area in your knowledge (as we all do of course), read through a topic like this one, and come away with ideas and inspiration.

Regards, Steve.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)