Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment

Hi I'm new to posting so I hope this works! I'm an NQT although have had a lot of experience working with EYFS children. In my new school there seems to be issues over when we say the children achieve a point. Some teachers give the child the point when thet have seen the evidence once and others say when they have seen the child demonstrate it independently and in 3 different contexts. Does anyone know the 'official' guidelines about this? I can't seem to find anything written down in the guides. Thanks

Hi Kathyscitt, just wanted to say a Warm welcome to the forum. :o I can't answer your question but do recall previous conversations on this subject, some 'points' being difficult to evidence with concrete examples and therefore 'professional judgment' can be used as well as 'specific evidence'.

Peggy

Hi Kathy and welcome

It is generally thought that you should have 3 different pieces of evidence for each child for a point but in practise this may be different, depending on the point. You do need to ensure consistency, however, which may also be determined by your professional opinion and the information you have in your head about the child. Some points are easier to evidence and to observe than others and it can be difficult to obtain evidence if a child has moved past a particular point already so you need to think about the whole context and content that you are assessing ie the whole child.

The NAA published some good guidance last year for understanding the complexities of the more difficult profile points. I'm sure there was a link here if you search.

Good luck.

Hi I'm new to posting so I hope this works! I'm an NQT although have had a lot of experience working with EYFS children. In my new school there seems to be issues over when we say the children achieve a point. Some teachers give the child the point when thet have seen the evidence once and others say when they have seen the child demonstrate it independently and in 3 different contexts. Does anyone know the 'official' guidelines about this? I can't seem to find anything written down in the guides. Thanks

I'm in pre-school Kathy so I come at this from a different angle, but I was reminded of a presentation given by Jan Dubiel of the National Assessment Agency back in 2007. One of the quotes I highlighted at the time was that:

"Learning is only secure if demonstrated consistently, spontaneously and independently – NOT merely in response to an adult!"

From this I gathered that seeing something once would not be sufficient to 'give the child the point', and I always bear this in mind when assessing anything.

Maz

I would say that you need to be sure that the child can do this consisently and in child initiated activities. I wouldn't have three pieces of evidence for each point, but I would want to know that a child really could achieve something - and feel I could justify this with examples of things the child had done to a moderator if challenged. I have, in the past, heard of teachers teaching a particular skill or topic and then assessing (eg shape vocabulary), yet a couple of months later the child couldn't use vocab correctly because they hadn't been using it in play/to consolidate. Hope this helps - and other agree!

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Kathy and welcome

As already discusssed 3 pieces of evidence are mentioned whenever you go on courses to do with EYFS and e-profile.This could be photographic,notes etc

80% of assessment should come from child initiated and 20% teacher lead.

It can be very difficult to do this so just go with your instincts and do what you have to do ,as Susan says the children can demonstrate some point every day eg relationships ,speaking and listening.....but how often will they 'consistently, spontaneously and independently ' count 10 objects?.....if not lead to an activity that would require this?

This is just one example...the e-profile has many many faults that cheese me off and I just bite my tongue and get on with it.

Have a lovely half term don't get too bogged down in all this

Tinkerbellx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)