Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Behaviour In Schools

I've just been enjoying a nice cup of coffee and have BBC news on in the background when, of all days (1st day of half term- grrr!) it has an item on behaviour in schools.

I think the gist was that the Government has put an idea to put social workers in schools to support parents and pupils to prevenet behaviour getting worse. One of the unions said that behaviour was one of the reasons that some teachers left the profession in the early years of their career, and two trainee teachers felt that they were prepared enough to manage behaviour in the clasroom. But, what really annoyed me was the chap they had in the studio who said behaviour was better than it had ever been! Viewers who had got in touch said that they felt behaviour had deteriorated over recent years.

Maybe I'm annoyed because the piece is put on one the first day of half term but I wonder what everyone else thought - is behaviour better that it has ever been or has it worse?

hi i too saw that on tv...and was quite amazed to see what had been said. As nqt myself i feel i have a good bank of strategies to manage behaviour, but its experience which allows you to practise these strategies. So im not sure how those trainee teachers felt confident. However i feel behaviour has gone from bad to worse over the schools. I'm not sure these people have been into the classroom. As the views they have don't reflect today's education!!

Behaviour in the classrooms is much worse than it was when I was at school, because the children have no respect for the teachers. This dilution of respect is partly the government's fault I feel, and party the fashion in 'trendy' 'call me Simon' teachers a couple of decades ago.

Police are powerless, a good clip round the ear from a constable might be seen in today's nanny state as being 'assault' but back then if it was what you deserved, you wouldn't go and tell your parents as you'd likely get another!

I'm not saying that respect was born out of children being frightened of adults, but it was just that they WERE adults, and as such naturally commanded our respect, unless something happened to make them lose it, in our eyes.