Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Research Project

Hi

Can i just ask for some input into a research project i need to do for uni. I can do any thing i like... which isn't helping... at the moment i'm considering mathematics or music... i wondered about how music links into development ... or influence of tv etc ... my question is when you do a research project how do you show how the children are improving when doing mathes or music .. how can you show there progress in the research project, i.e where they are when you begin and where they are at the end...i'm not sure if i'm explaining myself very well...

You really need a control group which isn't subjected to the variable such as the music. Then you can compare the development of each group to see which makes the most improvements. That's if I'm understanding what you're asking!

so if i did music and how it links into areas of development how could i record how it is influenceing their development...sorry i maybe being a bit slow here.... sorry.....it's probably obvious...

you might discover that the children don't develop, in my experience you need to come up with a hypothesis, for my foundation degree mine was, 'if children are allowed to play gun was and superhero play then they will display aggressive behaviour. I am now looking into the differing views of children and adults on CFS's. Once you know what you want to find out/prove, then you need to look at various methods of how you can find this out, be it through observations, the mosaic approach or interviews with the children. Have you look at Robert Holmes or Judith Bell? I find them helpful

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDeta...isbn=141290112X

http://www.book-shopper.co.uk/books/detail...0335215041.html

good luck

I guess a lot depends on what you're measuring. In what ways do you think music affects children's development? Once you've answered that question you can begin to think of ways of testing whether its true, and design your investigations accordingly.

It is obviously easier to prove something because your data is unambiguous - such as whether a child can do something or not. What are you thinking of investigating?

Maz

Thanks for your replies... just need to get my head around this....thanks for the links wendles their great...

Happy Maz - i was thinking of doing something along the lines of how music can be used in all areas of developemnt like CLL, used with phonics etc... but i'm now doubting whether this would work...

You could look at children's engagement levels but I'm wondering if you have enough time to do a long enough study to see if music improves their outcomes. How long do you have?

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)