Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gender Play

does anyone have any good webstites or book reccomendations please. i am doing my dissertation on how boys play differs from girls and why thank you any help would be apprecited

killowengirl

does anyone have any good webstites or book reccomendations please. i am doing my dissertation on how boys play differs from girls and why thank you any help would be apprecited

killowengirl

For my Foundation Degree I looked at how children's creativity was affected by their like (or dislike) of pink and blue. It would take a while but I could hunt my research report out and send you the references...

Also I may have some research papers on my laptop - but bearing in mind they'll be more than a year old now... :o

Maz

Probably wont give you a great deal to write about but you could reference the three Islington reports 'Engaging boys in the Early Years' on weaponplay, superhero play, inspiring boys to write and . the article recommends the following for further reading:

We don't play with guns here- Penny Holland

Boys and girls come out to play- Ros Bailey and Sally Featherstone

Raising boys: why boys are differen and how to help them become happy- Steve Biddulph

Boys and Girls- superheroes in the doll corner- Vivian Gussin-Paley

Gender issues in early education- Ros Bailey EYE article Jan '07 (EYE quite often have articles r.e. boys play)

Also confident, capable and creative... document produced by DCSF, easily available to download as pdf here or to order paper copy from teachernet

Can't think of any more for now, good luck though x

thank you very much I really apprecite all the help from everyone there are some great articles and books there thank you

killowengirl

Not sure if any of these are useful; some I have looked at for my research (war and weapon play) but have noticed they cover gender issues in play.

Bailey, R. & Featherstone, S. Boys and girls come out to play

Bruce, T Time to play & Learning through play

Paley, V.G. Boys & Girls: superheroes in the doll corner

Have got a couple more so will dig them out and check.

I did my dissertation on the development of storying in boys. It was a few years ago so might be a bit out of date, but I can check my bibliography next time I'm at work if that would help.

2 books from my 'library':

Rethinking Gender in Early Childhood Education by Glenda MacNaughton [PCP, 2000]

Boys and Literacy: Exploring the Issues by Trisha Maynard [ Routledge, 2002]

I seem to remember both of these authors were often referred to by my tutors as experts in the field. MacNaughton is Australian, I think. Trish Maynard has done articles .

Jackie Marsh is another name. Might have written more about popular culture than gender but some overlap. I think she wrote in journals mainly - may be wrong. Think she was at a Yorkshire University - maybe Sheffield. Journal: Gender and Education.

Hope some of that is relevant at least!

• 7 months later...

killowengirl

Hi I too have decided to do my dissertation on how boys play differs from girls, though I'm only at the research proposal stage. Any hints, tips, good books, literature, website you could recommend?? Hope yours went well. Many thanks in anticipation!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)