Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Referencing In Plans

I've been told that as part of my performance management I have to ensure all nursery children achieve profile scale point 3 across every area when they leave nursery and that I have to evidence this. However, as the EYFS is the legal document I reference when planning, I'm wondering what to do now? Do I use profile statements as well or instead of EYFS references? I've only just recently been given role of nursery teacher and I am having a panic as to how I can achieve this by July for our older nursery children. HELP!!!!!

Hi

I reference the EYFS in my planning but on a focus activity planner would also list profile statements for assessment (ours is a county nursery profile). Is bitty at the mo as our profile is being updated this year as it refers to stepping stones but I link my observations to the dev matters statements and these inform my assessment against the profile statements.

EYEProfile is statutory at the end of reception so that is the first point to note.

I would suggest your evidence for your planning will provide the reception teacher with information for her/him to make their first judgement of where the children are by adding your information to the info from parents and from thier observations in the first few weeks.

Work with them at the end of the year to share where you are planning for the children, show your learning stories or personal files so that s/he has a good picture of the child, their interests and their abilities with you in the nursery.

Hi Kermit21,

Please could you post me a link ( if there is one ) to the proforma for your profile scale points system.

We at present dont do this but it is on our action plan to find out how and where to start...so a bit of help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

Thanks everyone I feel a bit more reassured now. Although I'm still not sure I'll have everyone on a point 3 across the board! Lucy S we have been using a transition profile booklet for the profiling but have now been told they are out of print so I'm sorry I've nothing to upload.

Thanks everyone I feel a bit more reassured now. Although I'm still not sure I'll have everyone on a point 3 across the board! Lucy S we have been using a transition profile booklet for the profiling but have now been told they are out of print so I'm sorry I've nothing to upload.

Why would you get them all to 3 points!!! Be very clear about their starting point in relation to EYFS, no of terms in Nursery, other preschool experience, languages spoken etc etc as this is all going to create variance in children's developmental outcomes. IF you can then demonstrate PROGRESS as distinct from attainment you have evidence!!!! Just remember the EYFSP points are a summative assessment. As such they can be used to support on entry assessments into Reception so doing them at the end of F1 is not in itself wrong, as long as you are using the criteria in the handbook very carefully and accurately, based on the same expectations for the F2 teacher; it is typical independent behaviours of the child from predominately observed activity. Anything other than that undermines the point of the EYFSP and makes it inaccurate.

Cx

Have a look at the new Early Education mangement tool that has an interactive 'profile' booklett? linked to developement matters in all 6 areas, it is in its early stages at the moment and may need altering and I know that Ann Nelson would love feedback on its use - I have advised the nursery teacher at my school to highlight for each child each developmental matters criteria as they achieve them with some evidence as i feel her professional judgement is also very important - that way I will have an excellent idea of where in the learning journey each child has got when they entre my class - I also have planned visits to Nursery to meet with children as part of our transition so can then place children to notes etc... I am also not sure about this being part of your PM - raising standards acroos the group in a particular area and how to achieve this yes but to try and fit children into neat little square boxes - well I thought that we were trying NOT to do this

so good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)