Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Interview

HI,

I just qualified before xmas. I have an interview on Monday for a Reception teaching post, haven't been in Reception class since my first practice.

I've got to read a book and do follow up activity. Thought could do The Very Hungry Caterpillar, once read as a group see if children can identify days of week (using pre prepared cards and fruit) get them to put days in correct order and identify/remember what he ate.

This is a school with quite bright children. With the new curriculum does this sound suitable, ie are Reception children supposed to know days of week?

This is interview for 1st teaching post so want to do something good! If anyone has ideas/advice on improving this or different idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Amelie

Edited by Guest

Hi Amelie and welcome.

Good luck with your interview.

"The Hungry Caterpillar" is a good choice for reception and you could really involve the children in the reading, perhpas you could give them props etc and get them involved with the counting.

How many children will you have?

Could you be a bit more adventurous with your activity and perhaps do something creative--make fruit prints or symmetry butterflies or even caterpillars. My children have really enjoyed making creeping caterpillars with overlapping circles of paper--children could draw round them and cut them out.

Hi Amelie,

Congratulations on qualifying and the interview!

One of my friends had a FS interview last term and as well as planning for the activity, she demonstrated in her plans how she would use the outside area and also independent activities.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Hi there

I would agree with the above replies that you should try and plan something creative - I know when my school has interviewed in the past they look at people who are prepared to do something a bit different that will really enthuse the children. Try also to plan an activity that will link between the area - so if they are making something - could they do a label to say what it is. Another thought is to give them more free choice to encourage their thinking - can they make something that the caterpillar ate? What are they going to make? How could they make it? junk modelling, painting, drawing, cutting and sticking - I know this is harder to do when it's not your room but those things should be readily available with continuous provision.

Good luck anyway :)

Hi Amelie and welcome.

Good luck with your interview.

"The Hungry Caterpillar" is a good choice for reception and you could really involve the children in the reading, perhpas you could give them props etc and get them involved with the counting.

How many children will you have?

Could you be a bit more adventurous with your activity and perhaps do something creative--make fruit prints or symmetry butterflies or even caterpillars. My children have really enjoyed making creeping caterpillars with overlapping circles of paper--children could draw round them and cut them out.

Hi,

I'm not sure I guess there will be 25. I do have props so I think what I'll do is read the story through. Then use the props, I have labels for days of the week and fruit/veg/ other food that he eats. I have caterpillar puppet and butterfly puppet.

Then if we have time I will get them to make symmetrical butterflies.

In terms of it not being my class, should they use paint for this or colouring pencils?

I am guessing I might not have time for this as 30 mins do go quickly but if I do I think that's what I will do.

Thanks

Amelie

I was also going to ask in terms of the outside area, I haven't had much experience as that is new in the EYFS so what sort of things would you suggest for the outside area?

your idea is good but... sorry...I personally think its playing a bit too safe and I wouldn't have only one activity...

The book you have chosen is done a death in schools (rightly so as its a great resource) but you run the risk of the children being "bored" before you start as they know it so well and will be ready for anything and I personally think days of the week work better when children relate it to something they do.

I would choose a book that while you are reading then can join in with actions and or repetitive phrases and then for the follow up activities I would have a selection of 3 and on your plans indicate other areas you would have included.

Sparklebox has some great book resources you could use! Good luck!

your idea is good but... sorry...I personally think its playing a bit too safe and I wouldn't have only one activity...

The book you have chosen is done a death in schools (rightly so as its a great resource

Totally agree!!! It's a great book but I always groan when its suggested. I would see it as 'safe'. Jaspers beanstalk is good for days of the week, fits well with KUW and PSHE. 30 minutes is not long so your activity needs to be quick. You could plant a large jar with paper and bean seeds to leave with the children to 'look after' and remember you visit and story xD interviewers as well :o

I'm also getting irratated by Sparklebox cloning. It's getting so that every classrrom you enter is identical a bit like going in the another branch of a supermarket. Creating you own resources would give a better impression.

I can understand where you're coming from. But would planting some seeds then take up the rest of the session, because it is 30 mins and the story is quite short. Just not sure what else I would do with them, unless you can make other suggestions. And how would I use the days of the week, as I have labels? (just thinking out aloud)

Sorry if being difficult, just haven't had much experience with the new EYFS!

Amelie

The story is as short as you make it.Yes just read it through would take minutes BUT if you are questioning and reviewing as you go it should take much longer. Treat it the same as you suggested with the caterpillar story.Review after each 'day' what happen on the previous day and what day comes next, repeating chanting the days of the week. Question the children on factors for growing. 30 minutes is short and time managemnt will be important. You could have a couple of activites-planting beans (KUW) sticking leaves up a bean stalk (mathematical) sparklebox do have some playdough mats of a flower to add the petals-you could make something similiar with green playdough and a plant pot.Don't forget you will have to manage the activities with children you do not know.

So is alright for me to ask if I can arrive early so that I can set up activities or how does that work? I guess the 'teacher' is out of the class and then the TA is available?

Do I stay with one group or wander between the groups?

So is alright for me to ask if I can arrive early so that I can set up activities or how does that work? I guess the 'teacher' is out of the class and then the TA is available?

Do I stay with one group or wander between the groups?

As far as staying with one group is concerned, or wandering. I'm not sure how Year R is in other schools but at our school the only groups doing a focussed activity would be with an adult - the others are doing continuous provision so there is no need to check other groups just to monitor overall behaviour.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)