Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Narrative Obs

Hi

Well looking at doing a couple of these tomorrow but need a little help on how to do them. Have done an Oxford Target child one but not sure of format of unstructured narrtive.

Is it for just a few minutes a couple of times during the sesion...do you pick and choose the time, or set the time eg at 9.30, 10.30, etc Do you just note everything and anything and for how long? Quite tiring? Hand writing wise!

Any guidance please! Thanks

I would suggest doing them at a time when the child is occupied and not haring around from place to place.. when I did mine we were told it is better to observe a child which would make it easy to start with.

I always felt timings really are not that important at this stage as you are learning to observe, just what you feel comfortable with...

is it 2 obs on same child or can it be different ones....

Length depends on the child and what you are observing or what they are doing...write down what you see, not what you think or feel... eg if they are smiling say that not that they are happy.. you do not know they are happy just because they are smiling...

it takes time to learn how to do these.. we were told to invent our own shorthand if needed with a code and write them in full once you get home.... and also I find it easier to write it out as soon as possible, not a few days later....must admit others could not make head nor tale of my notes , always had to rite them up.

Try to avoid distractions and go with an identifier.. hat or clipboard or something which shows everyone what you are doing, and once they are all used to it they really will leave you to 'work' and ask someone else.. this is often more important for the staff.. particularly knowing your situation at work at the moment.

good luck and enjoy the experience.. once you get used to sitting back and watching it really can be an eye opener..

Inge

Observations are hard work at times! They are, however, a snapshot of what the child does/says and when writing it up you only need to refer to certain things, not write a huge amount - just give examples of how they speak or behave - saves time and your hand! More important is the next steps part - what will you do for that child following the observation?

Jenni

Thanks for the responses! Im going to try it out on 2 different children,

I am going in on day off to do these so can really concentrate on them (if kids will let me!). In actual fact they did pretty much leave me alone with my clipboard it was me getting up to sort out squabbles I saw or safety issues I potentially saw happening!

I have found the ones I have done so far very informative and getting better at just writing what I see (must admit had forgotten the body language bit tho so wil try harder there!)

Have sent off my initial assignment to tutor (only internal practice one not a CACHE one yet) where i used oxford and time sampling just to get feedback on what i have done so far. Now want to get lots more in before doing CACHE assignmnet!

Would it be alright to put the original or copy of my obs into their learning journals? Cant ask supervior as she is off on her hols at the mo (another story!).

Thank

Edited by marley

I would put copies of the obs in the child's learning journeys, I feel it a bit 'silly' to be doing an observation and not use it in the setting as well as for course work..they should be useful.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)