Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Building Regulations Mixed Loos

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

Hi

Can anyone help please?

My small primary school is on the list of the local LEA's buildings to be rebuilt/added too to bring us up to legislation on the required amount of space per child etc,disabled toilets etc......Can boys and girls share the same toilet facilities?

I know in the early years they do and aparantly at secondary school and some adult public toilets are unisex.....what about KS1 and KS2????

I would be very interested to know if you guys have mixed and where would I find the documentation about it???

Thank you Tinkerbellxxx

Hi Tinkerbell,

we have a mixed toilet area, which has just been refurbished so presumably meets H&S regulations etc. There are 6 toilets on one side of the area, assigned to girls and 6 on the other for the boys with 12 shared sinks. The toilet area is not a regular shape, as we have 2 large store areas in the middle of it which acts as a barrier and most of the toilets can not be seen from the other side. We have two doors to access the toilets.

We have about 120 children.

Brand new school I visit (opened last year) has mixed toilet bays between each pair of classrooms - 1 boys only cubicle with urinal and 4 unisex cubicles all with appropriate symbols on doors. Basins are opposite. This is all open to view from corridor so no opportunity for messing about behind closed doors!

korkycat

In my last school each classroom had its own toilet within the classroom and all children used this toilet. In the nursery we had one room with three toilets for use by either boys or girls.

When I visited the Reggio Emilia pre schools they had wonderful toilet areas but no cubicles just about four very small toilets and children could sit and chat while on the loo!!!

You may find this page interesting http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/up loads/br/BR_PDF_ADM_2004.pdf scroll down to page 52 onwards.

Also in Building Schools for the Future they give advise but they are not specific about unisex or not! See page 45

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/8117/BB99%20revise.pdf

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)